Prologue

Pain. It was all I could feel, just excruciating pain. I had no idea what was going on. My body was squirming under my sheets, trying to clutch myself, desperately trying to stop the pain, to hold myself together.

I let out an agonising scream. Immediately I heard multiple footsteps running, gaining on me every second. My body coiled up, my muscles tightening.

I wasn't paying attention, I couldn't, the only thing on my mind was the pain. Snap. I heard the sickening crunch of my bones breaking.

Suddenly it dawned on me that I was being carried outside, the cold air hit me, making the pain only a little less excruciating.

The open field of our packs land was so tempting, it was like something inside of me was tearing me apart limb by limb, desperately trying to escape.

Why? I wondered, why did it want to get out so badly?

I didn't have time to dwell on that thought as before i knew it my body was writhing in agony, feeling my bones break, snapping one at a time.

I let out a yelp as my spine twisted. My entire body began to twist around, forming something new. A new form. Oh.

Now that I think about it, it was stupid that I hadn't thought of it before! I was having my first shift.

Although it was a lot easier to remember that when the pain was half gone.

As if the beast was finally being let out, there was one last shock of pain before it all began to fade, as if the demon was finally being coaxed out of me.

Gasps were heard all around as a warm coat of fur sprouted down my body.

I peeled my eyes open, noticing for the first time that my pack was surrounding me, looking down at me in shock. And there was one warm hand resting on my arm, I looked up into the warm brown eyes of Axel, my best friend, and the soon to be alpha of our pack.

"Avery?" He asked, warily.

I gave him a grin, not really noticing that I couldn't exactly smile in wolf form. It was nice to know he still recognised me.

I stood up on shakings legs, looking expectantly at my pack, what do I do now?

They all just stared at me in shock.

Maybe being a wolf wasn't all I thought it would be. Maybe I was a monster.

I slowly began to back away, shaking in fear, what had I become?

I looked at Axel, he still looked astonished, but his gaze softened when he saw me looking at him and he held his hand out cautiously.

I yelped and turned round, running off into the woods.

I ran far, and boy did it feel good.

It was like the monster that had been escaping my body had taken control of my body instead, and it loved it.

In the distance I saw a smooth lake, the water was still, nothing moved inside of it.

Slowly I approached it, before I looked, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, peeling them open I glanced towards the water.

My eyes widened, was that me?

The imagine in the water was beautiful, a Snow White wolf stared back at me with my grey-blue eyes. I used to joke to my friends, saying my eyes were like ice.

It seemed funny now, my eyes contrasted deeply with my silky fur.

Oh so that's why they had looked at me in such shock... I was a white wolf.