Chapter 14 part 2

It still felt incredibly strange to feel his warm hand in mine.

Odd that I was so willingly embracing him.

But I knew exactly why I had become so open about us being mates.

He had marked me. And that meant there was no going back - not that I wanted to.

Axel seemed to think I was about to take flight, judging by the superman grip he had on my hand.

But he would have to leave soon, he worried for his pack and the danger that presented itself to them without an alpha.

As much as it hurt, we would be seperated.

Though it could be seen as a good thing, since his arrival I had completed very few of my alpha duties, it would soon be the time to catch up on them.

"Skylar? New shitfer outside the packhouse.", Blaine told me urgently through the pack link.

I sprung into action, releasing my hand from Axel's grip and whirling down the stairs.

I heard his panic behind me, his worry at my sudden departure.

I was a little worried also, I knew that I had clearly been slacking on my duties, I had not been able to keep track of the next shift.

It was easy to predict when a wolf would shift for the first time. Each pack has a different shifting age, usually depending on the strength and numbers of your pack.

At my old pack, we were fairly average, shifting at the age of 16, the same time we would be able to meet our mates.

Despite having seen Axel straight after shifting, I did not recognise him as a mate. I had come to the conclusion that you must complete the shift first, you must shift back to your human form, something I never did.

At my new pack, we had strength in numbers, yet our wolves shifted early at 14. The youngest I had ever heard.

Today, a wolf had turned 14, and we were unprepared as I was distracted with Axel.

The oldest age to shift I knew of was 18. Of course there were always exceptions to the rule, there were legends of wolves that never shifted despite having alpha lineage. The most famous legend was the elementals.

But they were just that, a legend.

Then again, who am I to judge, I'm a white wolf with supernatural powers.

I ran to the site of the shift, Axel hot on my heels.

It was a girl, her brunette locks were matted to her forehead, her bidi convulsing under the pain.

I could feel Axels understanding as he took in the hunched up girl through the mind link.

I rushed over, dropping to my knees beside the girl.

Her family surrounded her, whispering words of encouragement. Behind them, a boy looking concerned but nervous stared at her with worry.

I felt a small smile on my lips, maybe they had their own little love story going on.

Perhaps they were even destined to be mates, if they were they wouldn't discover it til they turned 16, the mating age here.

I gently lay my palm on her clammy forehead, I could feel Axel's eyes on me. Despite the worry of the surrounding wolves, they strayed away from Axel, forming a wide circle around him.

I understood why, they didn't know why he was here exactly. They knew he was an alpha, but that was it.

It wasn't like he was there future alpha.

I sent soothing vibes through my palm into the girl, and despite her bodies initial protests, she soon relaxed against my hand, even though her legs were still having spasms.

The girl, Cecilia, began to shift. It started at her hands, fingers lengthening and contorting into claws.

The rest of her body followed, legs kicking out and expanding, ripping through her clothes as her head morphed into a snout and her body covered itself in a coat of sandy coloured fur.

Her chest was the last to turn, her heart was harder to persuade to adopt the change, but finally she was completely shifted.

I smiled at her, she was still in pain as we guided her through the process of shifting back into a human.

She was exhausted, her parents having to carry her back to their home, the boy from earlier, Mark, trailing behind.

I straightened up, turning to face Axel, he held a soft smile on his face.

I walked over to him and took his hand in mine as we walked back to the pack house, where my room was.

__________________________

I'm back!

With a new cover as well :D 

Updates should be more frequent now, but I still have exams to revise for so they won't be as often as they used to be ):

Also, recently I have been getting so many votes and reads so THANK YOU!

If you are bored waiting for an update read my other story Ember, or if you were curious about the elementals that were briefly mentioned in this chapter, Ember is all about that (and it also has a new cover)

As well as that, you might just want to read it because once I have finished this book I will be writing a spin-off from this book and 'Ember', and though you can read it without having read 'Ember', it's going to be the point of view of one of the characters from that story, so if you're interested in reading it, go get a head start. The spin-off will be called 'Phoenix'.

Vote and comment if you liked it!

(also sorry about any mistakes, I had to write this on my phone and we all know how awful autocorrect can be)