Chapter 42

The next evening, Logan showed up just before six.  He rang the doorbell and waited.  He was very anxious to spend time with his daughter while Rory and Finn went out to dinner with Art and Adelaide.  He couldn't help but be a little nervous because this would be the most time he'd spent with her alone since she was born.  It wasn't because Rory wouldn't allow it, it was his very busy work schedule.  Logan's father had no sympathy for his son's relationship with Tori.  Work came first for Mitchum, as it always had before.

"Logan, you're early," Rory said as she opened the front door.  "Sorry, I'm such a mess.  I've been trying to get ready, but a certain little girl had other plans tonight."

"You look beautiful," he replied and they gave each other a quick peck on the cheek.  It felt a little awkward for him.  She rarely looked less than beautiful in his book, but he was still getting used to his new role in Rory's life.  He'd never been in the friend-zone with her, or any other girl except his sister.  Nevertheless, he didn't feel the need to hold back a compliment for her.

Rory didn't know what to say in return, but Finn saved her from stuttering out an awkward response.

"Mate, it's good to see you!" Finn said as he came down the stairs.  He extended his hand to Logan for a shake, who returned the gesture.  "I just got Princess V to sleep, so you should be safe for an hour or so."

Princess V? Logan wondered.  He figured it must be Finn's nickname for Tori.  It stung him a little bit because it was a reminder that he wasn't the one helping raise his own daughter.  He recalled how cold Mitchum had been when he revealed the news.  To his dad, it was simply another business deal to close.  Thankfully, Rory handled it with grace and maturity.  It was merely signing a formal document based on their previously agreed upon arrangement.  Stop, Logan, you can't let this get to you, he thought.  This is your new path, and you should be happy you get to play any role at all.  He'd been reminded of the coping skills he was learning in therapy.  He'd been working hard to embrace what was in front of him instead of dwelling on the past or what might have been.

Logan followed Finn into the living room while Rory went back upstairs to finish getting ready.  The two took seats adjacent to each other with Logan on the couch and Finn in the chair.  They sat in a slightly uncomfortable silence.  Finn had tried to keep things as normal as he could, but he could feel Logan's awkwardness.  He got up and went to the drink cabinet and poured himself a glass of scotch.  He glanced toward Logan and poured him a small one as well.  He handed the drink to him and watched him take a sip.

"How are things going in London?" Finn asked Logan.  He hoped to help him feel more at ease with everything.

"Good, I'm wrapping things up there and should be back here by the end of the summer," Logan replied.

"The Dark Lord is letting you move back here?" Finn asked curiously.

"It was somewhat of a point of contention, but I managed to convince him.  Odette was actually on board with the idea.  She's very committed to making our relationship work."

"When you get all settled, we'll have to go out for a drink!  I bet I can pull Colin away from Steph, and coax Robert out of NYC to meet up in Hartford," Finn replied enthusiastically.

"Get the band back together," Logan said with a smile.

Rory came down the stairs and into the living room.  Both guys instinctively stood at the same time, just like they'd been training to do by the norms of the upper crust.  She flashed a smile to the guys and laughed.

"You guys don't need to do that," she told them jokingly.

"You look amazing," Finn said as he kissed her on the side of the head.  She smiled in return.