Chapter 17

Rory listened intently to find where the voice was coming from.  It was coming from the booth behind theirs.  She knew the voice belonged to Finn, and it sounded like he was with Colin.

"What?" Paris whispered.

"I think Finn is here with Colin," Rory replied quietly.

"Logan's drunk, frat boy groupies?"

"Paris, they've matured since our days at Yale.  Both are successful in their family businesses," Rory replied defending her friends.

"It's Colin McCrae, right?  His father is Andrew McCrae, one of the top attorneys in New York.  No doubt he's following in his father's footsteps," Paris said, thinking out loud.

"I think his forte is contracts, and that includes prenups.  I'm pretty sure that's what Finn said in San Francisco," Rory added.

"I'm not even going to ask," Paris said, shaking her head.

Rory held up her finger again.  She thought Colin sounded a little intoxicated, and both were quite loud.  The two women sat in silence, eavesdropping on the next booth.

"Yes, he came to see me yesterday.  He claimed he needed to talk about some legal issues, and said he wanted my expertise.  I assumed it was regarding his most recent acquisitions, but that wasn't the case," Colin said.

"That's interesting information, Mate," Finn replied.

"As it turns out, there's nothing I can do for him.  He left with a sad, pathetic look on his face," Colin responded.

"I can only assume why he looked that way.  It doesn't seem like he's going to get his fairytale ending."

"Looks like we are on the same page," Colin replied.

Paris looked at Rory and leaned in.  "Wow, he's walking a dangerous line."

"Colin?" Rory asked.

"Yes, the whole attorney-client privilege," Paris replied.

"Does that apply to a talk between two friends?  In any case, I'm guessing that's why he hasn't said anything specific or mentioned any names."

"It also sounds like the prenup is standing in the way of your happily ever after."

"Maybe it's just not meant to be.  I had finally started to put the pieces of my life back together after telling him about the baby," Rory said solemnly.

"I'll be back in a few," Paris replied as she left for the bathroom.

Rory, being extremely curious, went back to listening to the conversation in the booth behind her.  She hoped they'd have more information about Logan.  She also contemplated making her presence known, but didn't want to intrude.  She did have a guilty feeling about listening in.  Maybe she'd talk to Finn after Paris left.

"Now that you're back from San Francisco, how are you filling your time?  Finally bag that hot little secretary?" Colin asked.

"No, and I don't intend to do that.  It's just begging for trouble," Finn replied.

"But she's so hot," Colin argued.

"I'm not denying that," Finn said.  "If you like her so much, I can set you up."

"You know I'm off the market.  I'm planning on popping the question soon, but haven't figured out how yet.  So, I live vicariously through you," Colin said.

They sat in an awkward silence and finished their drinks.  Finn couldn't admit that he wanted Rory, at least not to Colin.  He didn't think he'd tell Logan, but the whole situation was a sticky mess.