Chapter 33

Rory looked around the room at everyone who had gathered for her and Victoria.  It was a mix of friends and family congregated in her living room, which was decorated in a baby theme.  It seemed Finn had teamed up with Lorelai for a surprise shower.  The dining room held an assortment of food and beverages.

Lorelai came over to Rory and gave her a hug.

"How ya feeling, Kid?" she asked her daughter.

"Most days have been pretty good, but I feel as big as a house!" Rory replied and put her hand on top of her stomach.

"You don't look it.  You look fabulous and it's just not fair!"

"Mom -"

"I was twice your size with you!  I looked like Lane when she was pregnant with Steve and Kwan," she said interrupting Rory.  "Now, go!  Enjoy this party!"

Lorelai led her back toward the small crowd, where Emily found her granddaughter.  Lorelai slipped away to avoid her mother.

"Grandma, I'm so happy to see you!  I can't believe you came all the way from Nantucket for us," Rory said after she hugged Emily.

"Nonsense, Rory.  A shower for my granddaughter and great-granddaughter is the perfect excuse for a trip to Hartford," she replied taking a full look at Rory.  "Pregnancy suits you!  I was twice your size with your mother, but you are positively glowing!"

Rory noted the irony of her mom saying the same thing just a few minutes ago and smiled.  She opted to keep it to herself. "You are welcome anytime, but why the urge to come to Hartford?"

"I've been dying to shop for the baby," Emily confessed.

"You know you don't have to buy anything, Grandma.  I think I've got everything we need for her arrival," Rory replied.

"We?" Emily asked hopefully.  "Does this mean you and Logan....."

"No, there's nothing between us except friendship and a possibility of co-parenting as much as he can," Rory clarified.

"Oh," Emily replied with obvious disappointment.

"It was a mutual decision, and honestly, it's the best for all of us.  It's not like I'm all alone.  I've got you, Mom, Finn...."

"Finn?  Do I know Finn?" Emily asked confused.

"He's my boyfriend," Rory said quietly.

"Rory -" Emily began to admonish her when Finn interrupted.

"Hey, Love, we've got a little message for you from across the pond.  We're waiting for you in the study," he said and flashed a smile.  "It's always a pleasure to see you, Mrs. Gilmore.  You're looking quite refreshed.  It must be the salty sea air on the island."

"Is that him?" Emily asked after Finn was out of earshot.

"Yes, that's Finn," Rory replied with a soft smile.

"Well, he's very handsome, and is he Australian?"

"Yes, he is," she responded.

"Your grandfather always said no whenever I suggested we go to Australia.  Now, I think I know why," Emily said with a sly grin.

"Actually, the Fairmont Hotels are a part of his family's holdings.

"Oh, ok, very well....go on," she said with a satisfied smile.

Emily could see the way they looked at each other.  It reminded her of the way she and Richard looked at each other in the beginning of their relationship.