Chapter 8

The next morning, Rory packed a small suitcase and drove to Bradley International to catch her flight. Once through security, she started toward her gate. She's never been one for superstitions, but she paused at the replica of Mark Twain's house just as she's done every other time she'd passed through this airport. She didn't know why it was part of her regular routine. Perhaps, it was her love of his writing. After she arrived at her gate, she pulled out her phone to text Logan.

Rory: I won't be able to meet up today. I've got some business to attend to out of town. Maybe when I get back we can talk.

Logan: This is very important. It's about us.

Rory: Us?

She was caught off guard. She wondered if he'd been thinking about leaving Odette for her.

Logan: I know I screwed up.....BIG TIME, but I want to make it right.

Rory: I don't know, Logan.

Logan: Give me a chance; give us a chance!

Rory: Logan....

Logan: Together, we can make this work! I'm willing to risk everything....

Rory: I have something I need to do.

Logan: Rory, please.....I'm begging you!

Rory: Look, I'll be back in town, Friday. We can discuss it then.

Now, he wanted an 'us'? Is he ready to risk everything? For me? And the baby? Why didn't I wait until later to text him? He really knows how to throw a wrench in my plans and make me reevaluate my list! Guess I have most of the day to think about things, she thought.

The flight would be boarding soon, so she took a moment to gather some important information from Finn.

Rory: I've got a surprise for you. What hotel are you at?

Finn: A surprise? I'm intrigued, Darling. I'm at Fairmont Heritage Place.

What could this lovely creature have planned? Could she be coming here to see me? He wondered.

Rory: Wow! That's an amazing chain of hotels! I stayed at one with my grandma during a trip between freshman and sophomore years at Yale.

Finn: Well, it's part of my family's holdings.

Rory: I had no idea.

Finn: I don't talk about it much. I try to keep it on the down-low.

Rory: It's ok, I understand.

Most girls knew of his family's wealth and would try to get the most out of him. Rory was never concerned about wealth. She was grounded despite her own family's wealth, but she wasn't raised in society. He thought it made her all the more attractive and could understand what Logan saw in her. She wasn't like the other women in their social circles. They were all about family names, holdings, and bank accounts.

Finn: So, what's the surprise, Love?

Rory: You'll have to wait and see.

Finn: No fair!

Rory: It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, now would it?

Finn: Don't tease me, Darling!

Rory heard the boarding call for her flight.

Rory: It wouldn't be any fun if I didn't get to tease you a little. I have to go, but I promise we'll talk later!