Chapter 34

While Finn was on his way back from lunch, he got a call from Logan.

"Hey, Logan! How are things going?" Finn said answering the call.

"Things have been better," Logan replied quietly. "I figured I should call since I haven't really updated you guys on things."

"How is Odette?"

"She's....well....she lost the baby," Logan said solemnly.

"Oh, Logan, that's awful. I'm so sorry," Finn apologized. "How is she taking it? How are you taking it?"

"Things are a little rough for both of us, but she's started seeing a therapist on her own. This whole thing has really changed her. We'll start back together in a week or two. I want to make sure both of us are in a good place before we get back to the hard work of 'coupling'," Logan explained.

"I'm just really sorry about all of this. I don't think I could handle being in your same position," Finn responded softly.

"I appreciate your support, Finn. It's nice to have a friend to count on in good times and bad. I know it sounds cliché, but it means more than you know," Logan said humbly.

"We've got things under control here on our end. If you'd like, we could video chat Rory's next appointment," Finn offered.

"That would be amazing if we could work that out. I really hate not being there for Rory, too. It's a real Catch-22," Logan replied.

"It's not a problem and I'll make sure to mention it to Rory," Finn said.

"Thanks, man! I've got to go finish a few things before I leave the office. I'll talk to you later," Logan said gratefully.

"Take care," Finn replied and hung up.

When Finn returned to his office, he found a note on his desk. He'd been getting these kinds of anonymous notes since the company holiday party. He had a feeling about who had been sending them. The handwriting was similar to that of his secretary, Meghan. He'd never been able to catch her, and they'd increased in frequency after he commented about going to NYC with his girlfriend. He thought back about the look she'd given him at the mention of Rory.

To add to the escalated occurrence, the language had become more specific and forward. He opened the letter and read it:

I went to your house
Walked up the stairs
Opened the door without ringing the bell
Walked down the hall
Into your room where I could smell you

And I shouldn't be here
Without permission
Shouldn't be here

Would you forgive me, love, if I danced in your shower?
Would you forgive me, love, if I laid in your bed?
Would you forgive me, love, if I stay all afternoon?

He'd mentioned them to Colin in the past, but he wasn't terribly worried until now. The last letter was sweet and cheesy. This one felt darker. He wondered if something changed, or if the author was someone different, but the penmanship was the same. He needed to talk to someone.

"Hello," Colin answered the call from his friend. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Do you recall me telling you about some letters I'd been receiving?"

"Yes. The ones you thought were from your hot secretary?"

"Those are the ones. I still don't know if it's actually her, or not," Finn said.

"I still say you should have taken her home from the holiday party. She was all over you, man," Colin replied.

"It wasn't a good idea then, and an even worse one now."