Thirteen.

Posted: 10.16.17

Thirteen. 

          "Is Austin coming?" Kat asks, as she cuts up a few vegetables. I look up from my phone, and shrug. 

"I think so" I nod "But I don't know for sure" I say, taking a carrot from her pile of uncut vegetables and taking a bite. 

"How's it going with him now knowing about Ethan?" She asks. 

"It's actually going so well. I'm so happy that Ethan likes him, and Austin likes Ethan" I sigh in content, a smile on my face "Like Austin's already talking about taking him to places that he liked to go to as a kid" 

"Are you serious?" She asks, her jaw open slightly "That's honestly so cute" 

"I know, and I'm so happy" 

Our conversation is interrupted by Ethan coming down the steps, asking me for my phone. I look at him in confusion but hand it to him anyways, considering there's not really much he'll try to get into at 4 years old. 

He runs off with my phone and I think about calling him to come back, but I don't really care that much. Katrina and I finish dinner for Thanksgiving. Her mother went out to pick up her parents, since they don't like to drive and we promised her the food would be done by the time she comes back. 

Ethan comes back with my phone after a few minutes and puts it on the table before sitting down in one of the chairs. 

A knock at my door catches my attention and I walk towards the door to open it. 

"Hi Babe" Austin smiles after I open the door, leaning in to give me a kiss. 

"Hi" I grin, wrapping my arms around his torso. He hugs me back for a few seconds before I let him in, and we walk to the kitchen, and he leans against the counter, smiling at Katrina.

"Hey Kat" 

"Hi Austin" 

"Austin!" Ethan comes running into the room, hugging his legs. 

"Hey, Bud" Austin picks Ethan up, Ethan's legs wrapping around his waist "How are you?" 

"Good" Ethan grins, rubbing his eyes and leaning his head on Austin's shoulder. Austin holds him for a while, before walking to the table and sitting down, Ethan staying to sit in his lap. Ethan starts talking about random things, and Austin listens to him talk, and smile on his face as he replies to him occasionally. 

"Is it me, or are you crying too?" Kat asks, and I chuckle. 

"You know," I wipe fake tears from under my eyes "It's not just you" 

"That's genuinely the cutest thing ever" She gushes. 

"I fucking know" I sigh in content "He never seizes to amaze me"

***

"So, Austin" Kat's mom begins, picking a carrot up with her fork "What do you do for a living?" She asks, and Austin sits down his fork, wiping his mouth with his napkin before speaking. 

"I'm a math/music teacher" 

"Oh, really? What made you want to do both?" 

"I liked math as a kid, and I like kids, but I also like music, so the school I work at asked me to do both"

"Oh, what grade do you teach?" 

"Well, I teach all elementary school grades, so from K through 5, since the school I work at has math and science as separate things, the students come to my class at different times to learn math" 

"Oh, that's nice" 

"Yeah, it's a fun time" He nods "And I get summers off" 

***

"Thank you, for coming" I say to Austin as he sits down on my bed. This is the first time he's been in my room, and I can see him examining everything around him. 

"Thank you for the invite" He smiles, placing his hands on my hips as I stand between his legs. 

"Your room is nice" He says, and I grin. 

"Thanks" I say, looking around "I don't know how much longer I'm going to be here, unfortunately" 

"Wait, why?" 

"I have to leave eventually, and I'm going to be graduating from college soon, and Ethan's going to be starting elementary school, so I think it's time for me to be on my own. I have enough money saved, and I already have a job lined up for once I graduate" I explain "I just don't know how they're going to take it" I sigh. 

"I think they'll be happy for you" He says, and I move to sit next to him, before laying back against the bed. 

"I hope so" I nod. 

Austin lays down beside me, turning his head to look at me. He leans in and kisses me gently "Mommy!" Ethan runs into the room, climbing up onto my lap "Can we go get ice cream?"

"Baby, everywhere is closed" 

"But, why?" He pouts. 

"Because it's a holiday. We can go get ice cream tomorrow, I promise" 

"Okay" He nods sadly. 

"Go get your PJs on" I kiss his forehead, and he nods, running out of the room. 

"I have last minute shopping to do" I groan, covering my face "Yay for Black Friday!" I sarcastically cheer. 

"I'll help you" He smiles. 

"No, because I have to shop for you" I shake my head. 

"We'll go in separate sides of the store, because I have to shop for you too" 

"Fine, okay" I nod, I stand up to change, putting on a different pair of pants and shirt, tying my hair in a bun. 

At 11:30 pm, once I knew that Ethan was asleep and not waking up, Austin and I got into the car and drove all over the place to get Christmas shopping done. Once we got mostly everything I wanted, and he wanted, aside from things that were already sold out, we get back into the car. 

"Hungry?" Austin asks. 

"Where do you want to go?" 

"There's this place that has fried ice cream, thats so good" 

"Sounds good to me" I shrug, though I feel slightly guilty because I told Ethan no to ice cream, but ice cream two days in a row works for me. 

We pull up to this small restaurant that looks nearly empty and go inside. Austin sits down at a booth and I across from him. 

A woman comes over with a menu, but Austin tells her we already know what we want and orders each of us a fried ice cream. We eat it while making small talk, and laughing at stories from his childhood. 

"Come on" Austin says as he pays for the ice creams, he drives me back home, and  ask him if he wants to come inside and he nods, following me up to my room. 

I lay down in my bed, and Austin lays beside me, but on his stomach while I lay on my back.

"Can I learn the story of Ethan?" Austin asks. 

"Eventually, but as of right now, I'm tired so goodnight" I shimmy out of my pants before turning onto my side, and closing my eyes, going to sleep.