Chapter 17 -Memories and misgivings.

It was a sombre bunch that assembled for dinner that evening; Christian and Kirsty, Casey and Nathan, (although definitely not 'together ' in the literal sense of the word), Jake and Laura, Tash and Finn and Harry and Angel.

Leon was sat with his fellow second years, having been heavily encouraged to attend dinner, gave them a watery smile as they wandered in.

The friends picked at their meals, not really wanting to eat, but going through the motions nevertheless. The entire food hall had the same silent ambience; the hall was full, yet it was only possible to hear a quiet, whispered conversation humming in the background.

However, the only table that was different from the others was the table that Nathan sat on. He was trying to speak louder than the others, nudging his friends and trying to get them to laugh at his raucous jokes. It was as if he either had no respect for the feelings of his fellow students or that he had no conception of how to behave in a sombre situation.

His friends' were trying their hardest to believe the latter was the case, but Casey was getting redder and redder at his behaviour by the second; she even tried to ask him to tone it down, but he laughed in her face, scoffing at her words and causing her only to be more embarrassed.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Star came hurtling across the dining hall, tackling Nathan round the middle as he did.

Keeping a firm hold on a squirming and still smirking Nathan, he drew back his fist ready to plant it in Nathans' face. All at once, several senior students jumped on Stars' back, holding his arms and muttering in his ear to calm him down. Similarly, Jake grabbed hold of Nathans' arm and fuming, led him out of the food hall.

The entire hall was in shock; fighting and disagreements had no place in Guardonia and, especially the older students and graduates, were distraught, having lived in peace and tranquility for so many years. Guardonia was a safe haven, away from all the evil they had all experienced on Earth.

Most of the girls' were trembling with the violence of the situation and were being comforted by their fellow students.

Several Magisters had also witnessed the outburst of violence and were muttering in an undertone to one another in the far corner of the hall.

Jake meanwhile, was holding an increasingly infuriating Nathan against the wall. He was still chuckling about the ruckus he had caused and failed to be at all apologetic for what he had done.

Jake was so tempted to slap him and make him face how bad his behaviour was, but before he lowered his standards to Nathans, Pavo walked over to them.

Nodding at Jake, he said "Thanks for taking care of this little situation. Well handled and he should be thanking you for not getting lynched. I will take it from here."

Jake nodded back, appreciating the fact that somebody else was taking over. He had never known Nathan to be arrogant, but today had certainly taken care of that preconcieved idea. He wasn't sure what had got into him, but he certainly didn't like it.

Upon re-entering the food hall, Jake recieved various slaps on his back and grateful thanks all round, including from the Magisters.

The Headmagister was in the hall now too, as it seemed were all the trainee angels and graduees.

A hush fell over the room, as the Headmagister rose to his feet.

"This evening, at 8pm, there will be a dedication service," he announced.

"This will be to ask the spirits to safeguard our sister Guardian Angelus, Naomi, as well as to ask them to protect and assist Lacerta on her long road to recovery. All will be expected to attend, as afterwards I have some announcements that will affect you all."