Chapter 48--Just when things were looking up.

...Chapter 48--Just when things were looking up....

******(Warning: This chapter contains scenes of violence that may distress some people--if you wish to read it without, please message me. Thanks.)

Guardonia:

Things continued to improve in Guardonia; friends began tentatively making moves to befriend their old friendship groups again, training and school-work were going well and even Earth visits seemed to be carried out with little or no interference.

The only issue that was still somewhat controversial was Star's return to Guardonia.

Jake and Deus were both well-liked; those who were Jake's friends were very against his return, wanting him to be cast out or be severely punished, whilst staunch followers of Deus were waiting to see his reaction to Star's return.

Strangely enough, Deus actually empathised with him; clearly he could never forgive him for killing Jake, although having been told it was accidental had gone some way to adding to his sympathetic attitude but he had seen both sides of the coin and realised just how thin the boundary between good and bad was.

Lacerta was devestated to have been the cause of Star's breakdown, as well as Jake's demise and was very low in mood; added to the pregnancy hormones this was proving to be a very trying time for the couple, not helped by fellow lightsiders constantly asking their opinions about Star's return.

Star himself was being looked after in the Medical wing by a team that was highly trained in angels being 'broken' by the Destrodians and were working hard on his body, soul and emotions to help him to recover; the biggest hurdle he had to face was forgiving himself for what he had done but the doctors assured him that he would one day feel whole again and even a better lightsider at the end of his treatment.

Star was humbled by those who had not only forgiven him but also remained his friends.

Everyday, Orion, Adriano and Saggitta visited, as surprisingly, did Mundati.

Despite having lost his best friend at the hands of Star, he understood that love could drive you crazy; his own experiences with the loss of Kirsty had taught him that and he tried as hard as possible to make his friends understand the considerable stress and strain that Star would have been under.

Slowly, little by little as if he were a 1000 piece jigsaw, Star's life was being pieced back together and his supporters hoped he would one day be the genuine, true lightsider that he was.

*******

The Guardonia Angeli were recruiting heavily, needing other angels to assist, to ensure nobody was left in adverse conditions if they could help; as always seemed to be the case as the seasons turned from late summer into a frost-laden Autumn--many new recruits were found under bridges or in abandoned houses and buildings, whilst some just seemed to wander the streets aimlessly, hoping that either a pimp, drug dealer or even Death himself would take them away.

Guardonia's recruiting policy had changed inasmuch as those recruited could be older than previously; the main thinking behind this was in order to get more joined couples and began to produce their own angels sooner rather than later, as the thirteen year old previous age of recruitment left a long gap prior to starting their families.

Mundati and Adriano had been out successfully several times, with Mundati gaining his confidence back more and more after each recruiting mission.

One particular case he was most proud of, particularly as it was completely and utterly life-changing, was the rescue of an all but sixteen year old girl, Catelyn, who he intercepted after running away from her abusive, alcoholic parents. She was one step away from either taking an overdose or walking off Brighton Pier, straight into the grey depths of the swirling maelstrom of a bitterly cold ocean, waiting to devour anything that entered its unforgiving atmosphere.