Chapter 38--Shattered dreams.

Chapter 38- Shattered dreams.

*****

Guardonia-05:30 hours.

Both Naomi and Lacerta were up at the crack of dawn, having found themselves unable to remain in bed much longer, they had run to each others' Dorm rooms, only to bump quite literally into each other in the corridor between!

As is custom on Earth and in Guardonia too, the 'brides' were unable to see their soulmates prior to the ceremony, which was difficult for them both, having lived in such close proximity with Deus and Leon for so long; however, as they had appointments to begin their pampering day at 07:00 hours, there was not much time to miss them anyway.

Linking arms, they bounded of to the canteen for a pain au chocolat warm from the oven, washed down with a hot white choco mocha--both a caffeine and sugar rush for both that would help them through the day.

Sat in the canteen, giggling and whispering softly to each other about how wonderful their dresses were going to be, to how awesome the celebrations would be, surrounded by all their best friends.

Neither girl had seen their dresses in advance; as is custom in Guardonia, all of their fittings were carried out with them blindfolded; the only input regarding the colour and style coming from their chief bridesmaids.

Lacertas' chief bridesmaid was Saggitta, with Adriano standing as Deus's usher; although Deus had wanted Jake to stand for him, he understood when he turned the position down, as he said he would be too nervous in front of the entire nation.

Naomis' chief bridesmaid was to be Stephanie, who she had become close to when in quarantine, chatting through the intercom from the medical unit, with Leon choosing Christian as his usher, despite him being very nervous about standing with him.

At first, Stephanie had refused the position, because Naomi had become closer to Natasha than her at first, but Naomi assured her that Natasha would not be forgotten in the ceremony, as she had only just begun her Guardonian life when she passed to the spirit world--a cruel fact laced with irony, that she had lost her life trying to save others' and had finally started to bond with her fellow Guardonians.

So caught up in their excitement about the joining ceremony, neither girl spotted Star standing in the far corner, leaning against a stone pillar, his arms folded and an evil scowl on his face that distorted his features into something that emanated hatred against those he glared at.

Naturally, he had every reason to be disgruntled; prior to the incident where Naomi was kidnapped and Lacerta broken, both by Lacertas' new soulmate, a fact that Star failed to get his head around, he and Lacerta spent most of their spare time together.

He was sure that she had felt the same way about him, more than a friend and was certain she returned his love, but before he had chance to tell her, she had been 'broken', retrieved and left in a coma for weeks.

He just failed to comprehend how she could even think of speaking to the despicable character that had both taken Naomi and removed her own soul, although when she awoke her soul had been returned to her body, obviously a reflex gesture from her so-called soulmate when he felt the call to become reformed and find his soulmate.

Star raged inwardly; how dare he come into 'my' territory, steal my beloved Lacerta and suddenly be treated as a hero?

Did the others not realise that he was an outsider, that he could be a plant, that nobody renounces evil that quickly?

They all clearly thought that because Ginella had tied them as 'soulmates', they could all trust him, yet nobody thought of him, not even Lynx and Orion, his best mates for years had been cautious about Deus--they too had welcomed him with open arms.