Chapter 43-- Evil is as evil does.

Chapter 43--Evil is as evil does.

****

Guardonia: 07:00 hours.

Christian spent the night tossing and turning; the incidents of the last few weeks had seriously messed with his mind and he hadn't a clue which way to turn or what he felt or even believed in anymore.

Prior to Adrianos' intervention, Christian thought he probably would have continued to drink, alienated all of his loyal friends and possibly been ejected from Guardonia--such was his current state of mind he wasn't sure if that would be a good or bad occurence, but as he was unaware of Ethans' sudden recruitment to Destrodia, he assumed that home-life would be as dire as when he left.... and with definitely certainty he was not returning 'home', regardless of what happened to screw his life up here!

A loud bang tore him away from his thoughts, as Adriano burst through the door to his apartment, knocking on his way through the double doors, as Christian blinked sleepily at him, his sleep-deprived dry eyes causing his eyelids to feel as if they were sticking to his eyeballs, with a few grains of grit thrown in for added effect.

"Morning mate!" Adriano chirped loudly, causing him to snuggle lower under the covers; he may not have slept much recently but that didn't mean he wanted to be evicted from their warmth either.

Noticing Christians' reticence, he entered the room, his soft warm brown eyes showing compassion, yet determination as he gazed at Christian's reluctant demeanour; the way he was curled up under the covers reminded Adriano of a hibernating grizzly bear, who looked very likely to growl loudly at being turfed from his cave before Spring, causing him to smirk slightly as he would be the one disturbing the hibernating creature.

Walking over and perching on the edge of the bed, he handed Christian a strong black coffee, complete with the two sugars he always added but without the Nektar addition he had been using lately.

Christian accepted the coffee, mumbled his thanks and propped him self up on one elbow to drink the scalding, bitter caffeine rush his body craved more and more recently and looked hopefully in Adrianos' direction to see if he was going to leave.

However, Adriano had big plans for Christian that day and he was going to play the 'cruel to be kind' role for the time being, although he was as soft-hearted as all of the Mentors, he knew when to be firm and this was one of those times.

"Right then," Adriano started, with a no-messing tone of voice. " You have one hour and in that time you need to wash, dress, eat a large breakfast for strength and be ready in my lounge in those 60 minutes. I want you dressed in your usual white angel kit, not those scruffy jeans you've been wearing recently. Questions?" he added, smirking at Christians' shocked face.

Christian nodded mutely, downed his coffee and threw back the covers mutinously; he may have to do as he was told but he was damned if he was going to look happy about it.........

Precisely 55 minutes later, Christian stood in Adrianos' kitchen, munching on toast and honey and scowling at his Mentor, who had twice sent him back to his room to straighten up. Once he sent him back to brush and tame his hair and once to tidy his room because, as Adriano had put it, 'he was his Mentor, not his Maid!'

Standing close to Adriano, Christian swallowed the last bite of his toast, resisted the urge to deliberately wipe his sticky hands on his clothes like some reticent two year old and settled instead for wiping them with the dishcloth, bleached white and sparkling clean to match the entire kitchen area.

Nodding in response to Adrianos enquiry as to his readiness, he stood next to him, shaking a little with nerves as this was his first Earth visit since they were quarantined, he felt a hand on his shoulder gently squeezing in support and hearing Adriano mutter 'Movio", he closed his eyes against the spinning sensation that transporting always led to.