Chapter 44- Where the good angels tread

Chapter 44-- Where the good angels tread.

*****

Guardonia:

Christian and Adriano arrived back in Guardonia, in a tangle of arms and legs, thanks to the minute distraction that Star had caused as they transported back to Guardonia.

Both angels jumped to their feet as quickly as they were able and looked at each other in shock; they knew that Star had left Guardonia prior to being rehabilitated or dishonourably discharged but to think that he was messing with their successful guardian assistance was an idea that hadn't crossed either of their minds!

Both lightsiders began to talk at once, stopped, talked again at the same time and again, until Adriano held his hand up, palm out as if making a 'stop sign', then gestured to Christian to speak first.

Flustered that he had not even conceived the notion that Star was messing with their work, Christian was a raging inferno of anger, spitting out each word as if they were made of molten lava.

"I can't believe it! My one true success, my only real, satisfactorily completed mission, yet he ruins it! Not enough that he killed one of my best mates, ruined Joining Day for two couples and made my break-up even harder to deal with...." he paused for breath, realising his voice had been getting shriller and louder with each word that left his mouth.

Taking a deep, calming breath as both Ara and Adriano had taught him to do way in the past, or so it seemed, and continued with his diatribe.

"All of the time I was on Earth, watching Eric, I ws beating myself up, berating myself for failing him whilst I took too many 'personal days', yet now I realise it... I didn't mess up, Eric didn't mess up, Star interfered and messed things up. It all makes perfect sense now......." Christian once again paused, as if to ponder the situation and suddenly, with the most sense of purpose he had felt since losing Kirsty and Jake, he related in earnest to Adriano.

"We've got to do something about Eric. I know I put him out of harms way, you reshaped the memories of the onlookers but what about court? Work? His children, ex-wife? We have to go back, Adriano, please." he pleaded, his hand forming the universal begging sign of two fists clamped together, fingers entwined, looking at Adriano expectantly.

Adriano held back a smug grin; this trip to Earth had helped Christian in a much greater way that he ever dreamed it could have-- with his insides glowing with happiness at the return of the old Christian, he put an almost fatherly hand on his shoulder and squeezed.

"I'm so proud of you mate," he managed, fighting past the lump in his throat and clearing it with a cough, as if he wasn't choked with emotion at all.

"You have fought through circumstances that would floor many a lightsider, rendering them unreachable or worse.

You have recognised not only that Erics' downfall was not due to his own relapse, nor was it fault on your part.

Today, you prevented what could have been a fatal accident for more than just Eric, begrudgingly at first, yet you still did it and had the senses to notice Star as we transported back too.

I don't know about you, but I would say that Christian the floating guardian angel is back! Well done mate. What now?" he added, knowing the answer to his question.

Christian answered immediately; Star was not going to mess with anymore of his life and Eric needed him.

"I want to go back, now, please?" he looked at Adriano imploringly.

"Please, I know that I am supposed to be starting lessons now and I will do double tomorrow or work tonight if I have to, but please let me go back and make sure that Eric can still have his kids, still has a job and his friends haven't left him. Please?" he finished, pleading with every pore of his body.