Chapter 13

Sydney's P.O.V

As Stefan was speaking to me about my past , I felt myself being pulled into a different time ........

* Flash Back *

" Ms . Sydney , Ms . Brim is here . " said Brielle , my maid.
" Send her in , please , Brielle . " I said as I adjusted my hat in the mirror .
" Yes , Ms . Sydney . " Brielle said and curtseyed .
I nodded as one of my closest friends , Melinda Brim walked in in a gown of vibrant deep yellow fabric , her auburn hairr flowing in waves .
" Hello , Sydney . " Melinda said as she embraced me .
" Hello , Mel . " I said as I retured the hug .
" I've missed you . " she said .
" How was Spain ? " I asked .
" It was excellent . I met a few men .... speaking of men .. I heard you've found one of your own . One by the name of Salvatore ? " she said smirking .
I sighed .
" I'm torn , Melinda . I don't want him to be a monster . But I don't know if I could live without him ! " I said .
Melinda noded .
" You've got it bad . I've never seen you so torn up .Except with HIM ! ( Note - You'll find out who " Him " is later . ) I hated the way he treated you back then . It was terrible . " she said , shaking her head .
" I just don't know . Stefan and I have been spending alot of time together and we've become friends and I can tell he feels deeply for me . " I said .
" Well when can I meet him ? " she asked , giggling .
" Tomarrow , for tea ? " I asked .
She nodded .
" Very convineient since I'm staying with you . " she said , laughing .
I nodded .
We'd been best friends since the 16th century . She was 200 years younger then me .
I woke up the next moring and Brielle helped me tighten my corset and slide into my pale pink gown with lace trim and my matching hat .
" You look splendid . " I heard Melinda say from the doorway , wearing a dress of bright yellow with purple flower designs and a matching hat .
" Thank you. As do you . " I said , nodding , before slipping into my shoes and linking arms with Melinda .
We walked into the garden as we waited for Stefan .
" Are you excited for him to meet your best friend ? " she asked giggling .
" I don't know . I think so . " I responded , and before we could let another word slip , Brielle called us in for Stefan's arrival .
We walked back inside with linked arms , while Stefan stood there every bit the gentle man .
Melinda was the first one to reach him in quickened strides and take his hand .
" Hello , Mr . Salvatore . I've heard so much about you . " she said , flashing her white teeth .
I rolled my eyes as she stepped to the side as Stefan reached forward and took my hand gently as I curtseyed low .
" Careful , she bites . " I added , throwing a glance in Melinda's direction .
Stefan chuckled as we all sat down for tea .
" So , Mr . Salvatore , how old are you , exactly ? " Melinda questioned .
" I'm 16 years old , Miss . " he said . ( Remember , Sydney was in Mystic Falls a year before Katherine and Stefan was 17 when Katherine turned him )
" And what are your hobbies ? " Melinda continued .
" I like reading ,and football and I think that education is very important . I also like writing . I think I want to be a writer . " Stefan said politely .
" What an interesting career choice . " Melinda said .
" I personally think that to be a writter, a person needs creativivty and imagination and so many people lack those two things these days . " I threw in , as I felt Stefan's hand find mine under the table . 

Melinda only stayed for a few days before going back to her traveling , but not before promising to keep in touch .
When I was alone again , I finally had time to give back to Stefan .

I was wearing a pale green corest with black trim and a robe that flowed down overtop of my skirt  with my back facing the door when I heard a knock .
" Yes ?" I called .
" Miss , Mr. Salvatore is here . " Brielle said
" Send him in . " I said confidently .
" Up HERE ! In your sitting room ? You've NEVER had a man in yournsitting room ! " Brielle exclaimed .
" NOW ! " I comanded .
" Yes , miss . " she said and I heard her scurry off .
I was still facing the window when I heard the door open .
" Come in . " I said .
" I've never been up here .It's lovely . " Stefan said .
My heart lept at his voice . He was here . With me .
" Stefan , before I let myself go to far , I require some answers . " I said .
Silence.
" Mr . Salvatore , you care about me , do you not ? " I questioned .
He was quiet a moment .
" More then anyone else I've ever met . " he said .
I smile tugged at my lips and I knew he was holding his breath .
" And I , care for you , more then any friend should care for another . " I said with a sigh and I didn't have to look behind me to know that Stefan was smiling .
I turned around and faced him and he gasped as I inched closer , every inch turning into a dance .
" You look ....." he trailed off , looking me over .
" Yes , well . " I said .
" Miss Sydney , you must be the most beautiful woman on the whole East Coast . " he said admiring me .
" Stefan , for once , don't compliment me . just tell me how you feel about me . " I said , strokeing his cheek .
" I-I love you . " he said .
I smiled.
" I love you too Stefan . "
And then his lips were crashing onto mine .I'd never felt this way and the adrenaline was too much for me .
I felt ourselves moving over onto the couch and then suddenly my body was pressed against him and Stefan was gently kissing my arm and up to my neck .

" I told you I loved you and you said you loved me . " Stefan said , pulling me out of my flashback for a brief second .
" You said you loved me . " I repeated .
Stefan looked at the ground .
He handed me a picture .
  The girl was beautiful with pale ivory skin , dark brunette hair - almost black , and big hazel eyes and that girl was me . He'd kept the picture . All of the sudden , I was in the middle of my sitting room again back in 1863 .

I was standing , looking out of the single window in my sitting room with antique wood , looking out at the mystical sunset .
I'd left Stefan asleep on the big loveseat in the corner and I glanced over my shoulder and saw him laying there, breathing slowly in a peacful slumber . I smiled to myself . So young . So innocent. I could never jepordize his humanity . It wasn't fair . I refused to rip him from the world he's know all of his life like I'd been . I couldn't lose control . Not once . I won't hurt him . I promised .
A slow tear streamed down my pale face as I watched the sunset and the moon rise high above Mystic Falls . A shudder ripped through me as I felt arms around my waist , pulling me closer . It was Stefan .
" Did I wake you , love ? " I asked .
Stefan shook his head and bent down and kissed my forehead gently .
" Why me ? " Stefan asked .
" Because , you're real . You're genuine and because fate has a sense of humor . " I said dryly .
" Sydney , why don't you ever talk about you past ? " Stefan wondered out loud .
" Because , it's painful for me . " I said .
Stefan rubbed my shoulder and I turned around and we started kissing . I felt my eyes bruise and I turned around .
" What is it ? Did I do something wrong ? " Stefan asked , worried .
" No , love . This is my fault . I never should've .... " I trailed off .
" Are you alright ? " Stefan asked .
" I'm fine . " I said .
Stefan grabbed my chin gently and turned it toward him .
" NO ! " I said , but it was too late and he saw my face. My vampire face and he gasped .
My face retured to normal and a few more tears ran .
" I'm so sorry . I never would've hurt you , you know that , right , Stefan ? " I asked , looking down .
Stefan tilted my chin up and kissed me .
Stefan and I grew close . Very close . He was my best friend and even more .....

There was a knock downstairs at midnight on my front door and I knew by the scent it was Stefan . Something must be wrong , otherwise he wouldn't be here this late . I ran downstairs in my corset , skirt and robe .
I flung the door open and Stefan pulled me into his arms.
" Stef , what is it ? " I asked
" My brother , he's coming home early . " Stefan said .
I sighed .
" THIS is why you're here at this hour ? " I asked .
Stefan nodded .
" Come on in. " I said .
I grabbed Stefan's hand and led him up to my bedroom and we layed down on the bed . I layed with my head on his chest while he stoked my hair .
" So tell me . What is so bad about your older brother coming back ? " I asked .
" I just don't want things to change . I miss him , but Damon and father fight all the time . " Stefan said .
" You' ve always got me . " I said , smiling .
Stefan reached down and kissed me.

" The next moring , while you were still asleep , I took some of the potion from a witch that I'd found in your tea , so you wouldn't remember any of this and so you wouldn't be in any danger . I didn't want the town to know . " Stefan said , looking down at me with sad eyes .
I remembered .
My eyes that hadn't cried in years , finally started to shed water .
" Y-you did it because you wanted me to stay safe . " I said .
Stefan nodded .

" Stefan , I don't forgive you and I might never forgive you , but ... I think that we can be friends ."