Chapter 1

Present :

I drove over the Maryland / Virginia border . I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I wasn't nervous because I was . I'd heard my sister was still alive like myself after 500 years give or take . Well , if you call being a vampire alive . I sighed . This is what happened when I allowed myself time to think . I worried . I looked around at my car , a blue BMW convertible .

After a few more hours of arguing with myself weather or not to continue in search of Katerina , or to just leave her be , I decided to risk it . I had to see if she was okay . It's funny . I was always the responsible one even though I was the youngest . I drove through Mystic Falls and down a back road I'd found . The house I'd bought was a little further down the road . I pulled in and took in the sight of my now home .

I'd liked the long , narrow driveway surrounded by trees . I got out of my convertible with a few boxes and started too move everything around where I wanted it . When I was done , I decided I better make a food run so I ran outside into the woods behind the house and started to hunt ....... I'd need my strength for tomorrow .

I sat in bed thinking and I decided to pull out my journal .

Dear Diary ,

This house .... it is old and familiar . There are some parts of my memory that I've lost somehow and I'm sure that it has

something to do with this town . Sometimes I get memories back in dreams or visions and maybe someday I'll be able to put the pieces together .

Why would I come back ? Katerina ? Maybe she's not even here ! I'm so torn and confused . I've been alone for far too long .... I just want someone to talk to . Someone who understands . I didn't ask to be this way . A monster . I can't seem to remember much of the past few centuries except about 150 years or so . But I do remember Katerina and mother and .... and ....

Well I won't talk about him . I just won't . I've put him in a drawer and thrown away the key as to speak . I was thinking about going to High School . I mean , what do I have to lose ? I think I can trust my self control enough to be around humans . I can't live in the dark forever . Can I ?

Yours Eternally ,

Sydney Petrova

( Sorry it was a short page . Some of the pages will be long later on . )