twenty-six

Mara

I read somewhere that you can't rush love that you want to last forever. That's what I was doing. I was scared, yes. But I wasn't scared to fall in love, I was scared that it wouldn't last. I was scared that I knew that I was in love with Alex.

Alex and I have been inseparable since the first day we met. Ever since the shit with Noelle, he's been the one I turned to for everything. Yeah, we have a small little argument here and there, but that's it. And we always manage to find each other back where we were, happier than ever.

I could not explain how unbelievably lucky I am to find the people I did. David, Liza, Zane, Jason, Kristen, Scotty, literally every single one of them were so unbelievably kind to me when I first moved here. I've never considered anything in my life to be an act of luck, but this is.

What was the chance that Noelle and I had picked that one apartment? What was the chance that I had seen Dom in the elevator? What was the chance that Alex, David, and Dom had been going down the elevator the day after we met at the same time as we did?

I had taken all of this for granted until now. I had taken Alex for granted. But I know now. I learned, after everything that I've been through, that Alex is the one I can't take for granted for being there. I have to appreciate him every chance I can because I know that I don't ever want to lose him.

I've lost way too many people in my life. Noelle, Justin, my parents, Ansel, Liam. These people, my new friends, I'm never letting go of. They're changing me every day for the better.

I had all these thoughts as I was laying in Alex's arms in the morning. It was 7 am, way too early to be up. But I just couldn't stay asleep.

And of course, I had completely embarrassed myself in front of Alex last night. The word.. well, you know what word, just kind of slipped out. Especially after I had gotten Goose because I have been talking to him in such a baby tone. Like "Aw, Goose, what a little chinchilla. Aw, what a cutie," and baby talk like that.

I softly shifted my head to where Alex's head was resting. His eyes were closed and he was breathing softly. He still had a few bits of face mask from his amateur job at washing it off. I smiled at that.

He looked so peaceful.

He and I have come so far. The two of us, together. I knew I wouldn't have been able to do anything without him. I would've cracked under pressure and went running back home, moving back in with my parents.

There, I would've been constantly fighting with them, probably getting back into the things I had before. Before I found Alex.

Not going to lie, when I moved to LA, Noelle and I had planned to do a LOT of partying. Just because that was the one thing that I used to distract myself. But now I don't want distractions. I know that I could do anything with Alex.

Damn, I still can't believe he got punched in the face for me. He completely busted his lip open, trying to intimidate Justin. And man, that was the first time we kissed.

That seemed like so long ago. Every 2 weeks, you have a fresh set of skin. So, my lips have no remembrance of Alex's. My brain does, of course. But nothing more.

I took my hand and placed it on Alex's face, feeling his warmth light up my hand. His eyes flickered and opened slowly.

"Hey, Mar," he smiles, looking right to my eyes. I smile back. "Hey, Al."

Alex moves his head and looks at the clock on the TV. "Mara, it's fucking 7 am," He huffs. "I know," I reply. "Why the fuck am I awake?" He asks, pretending to be angry. "Because I love you," I say.