twenty-five

Alex

I wasn't completely taken back by Mara's out-of-the-blue decision to get a chinchilla. I'm just surprised- and glad, that she didn't get a dog. That would've caused her so much stress and that's not what she needs right now.

Maybe depending on how things go, next year or something I'll get her a dog. Or two. But not now, not with the shit with Mara's brother happening.

I don't know what exactly happened in that room yesterday with the police officer, but I don't know how great of an idea it was for Mara to talk back to a police officer.

I think she could've just complied and let it all happen as it should, but she intervened and now they're looking at her like she knows something about Liam. Does she? Why else would she be so chill about this?

I push those thoughts away. Mara doesn't know anything- I don't know what I was thinking. She's acting this way just because she's gotten used to things not going her way. I want to fix this, but I don't know how. The only thing I can do is sit here and be there for her.

But the smile on her face as she happily danced with Goose in the passenger seat made it all worth it. "Still cannot believe you named your chinchilla Goose."

"Whatever," She smiles, too busy admiring her new pet to take my comments to heart. Mara turned the radio up and set Goose on her lap, her knee bouncing nervously.

I pulled into my parking garage and Mara and I head up the elevator to my apartment. I see David's Tesla in the parking garage, so I know he's home.

I open the door and Mara comes in with Goose. "David, close your eyes and lay down on the ground," Mara says, taking her phone out to record it for Snapchat. David lays on the couch with Liza, his arm wrapped around her.

Liza grins and takes David's vlog camera.

"No, I'm not doing that," David refuses. "Cmon, cry baby, would I do anything mean?" Mara asks. "Yes! You're literally just as sadistic as I am!" David laughs. "No, she's not! Don't worry, Mar- he didn't mean that," i defend Mara.

David covers his eyes with a merch T-shirt and Liza watches nervously. I lift David's shirt up as Mara puts the chinchilla on his stomach. Lisa gasps.

"Oh my god, Mara! Take it off! Now!" David squeals. "David, don't move, you're scaring Goose," Mara says.

"Goose? There's a fucking goose on me?" David shouts, squirming even more. "No," Mara says. "Then why the fuck did you say goose!" David shouts, rolling over and ripping the shirt off his head.

He spots the little chinchilla on the ground and bursts into laughter. "What the heck! Why is there a chinchilla on the ground!" David asks.

"This is my new chinchilla, his name is Goose," Mara says.

"You.. named a chinchilla Goose?" David asks in disbelief. "Yeah, so what?" Mara says defensively. "Hm, nothing wrong with that at all. Just wondering," David laughs.

I grab Bailey out of her cage and puts her on the ground next to Goose.

They don't even acknowledge each other. Bailey stayed in the same spot, not moving, only wiggling her nose. Goose hopped/ran around aggressively, which was honestly extremely adorable to watch. But nothing was better than seeing the excitement that was obviously painted all across Mara's face as her eyes watched over Goose, both protectively and lovingly.