sixteen

Alex

I didn't mind that Mara didn't say 'I love you' back. I already know how she feels. I know that she's scared to begin something because she's been hurt so much in such a short period of time. I can imagine what is going through Mara's head. I promised Mara I would wait until she was ready.

Mara is honestly the most amazing girl I have ever met. I know it hasn't been long- only a few months, but David was right. We spent almost every single day together. I could just sit with her in an empty room for hours and never get bored. I could talk to her about anything and everything.

I got back to my apartment around 10 at night and sat on the couch, thinking about everything that had happened. I mean, telling Mara you love her is a big step. I didn't even know why I said that, I just did. I was on that couch, thinking about how much I was in love with her, and when I started talking, I couldn't stop.

I hear the apartment door open around 11 and David came in, slightly confused when he found me sitting on the couch staring at a TV that wasn't even on.

"You alright?" David asks. I look up to him, nervous on how to tell him. I decide to just give it to him straight, "I told Mara I love her." "Oh fuck," David says as he takes a seat next to me. "You love her? I mean, I could tell you were in love with her, but you never told me," David says. "I know. We were just talking and I got way too into the topic and then it just came out."

"What did she do?" David asks. My knee starts to bounce. "She told me I wasn't. That I didn't even know her. David, she's scared. She was so scared. I think I caused her to be scared," I tell him, but it's more directed to myself. I shouldn't have said that when I did. Mara didn't need to hear that.

"Alex, no. That is not fair. You did not scare her, Alex. She's scared, yes. But it's not because of you. It's because of Justin and Noelle, not you. Alex, I see the way she looks at you. You're important to her."

I sigh. "I don't know, David." "Alex, trust me. She likes you. Maybe it's not love, not yet, but I can see the way she looks at you. The way that, even when you're not around, when she hears your name, her face lights up. She sticks up for you when we joke about you. Liza says she talks about you... a lot. She likes you, Alex. She just needs time."

"Are you sure?" I ask David. He's doing so well with Liza, I trust him. He's one of my best friends. I know I can trust him and his advice.

"Of course, Alex. Give it time," David gives me a reassuring smile. "Now, I'm going to go tell Liza and all of our friends about what happened!" David shouts as he pops up from the couch and rushes to his room. "David," I groan.

I pick myself off the couch and head into my room. I take my shirt off and change into more comfortable shorts as I crawl under the covers. Dom comes in a half an hour later, and I'm surprised he's not out late tonight.

"Hey, Alex," he says. "Hey, Dom," I say back. "Home early, I see?" He shrugs. "Yeah, I was tired. But I'm surprised to see you home. Thought you would've spent the night over at Mara's," Dom says.

I shake my head. "Nah, I did last night and today I just wanted to be in my own bed," I say. And to give her time to think about what I piled on her. God, I'm so stupid. She had to deal with Justin, Noelle, her parents, work, and being sick and I totally made it 20 times worse by telling her how I felt.

"So how's it going with her? You two a thing yet?" Dom asks. I shake my head. "Nah, still don't want to rush it. I mean, I've only known her a few months." "Alex, man. You keep saying that but seriously, you two are closer than anyone I know. Perhaps even David and Liza," Dom laughs.