six

Alex

"God, that guy is such an asshole!" I snap, as I pace back and forth in the apartment. "Alex, chill out," David says from the couch, where he sat with his laptop on his lap. "He doesn't let her talk to any guys. He hates me, I can tell. And he treats her like shit. He's fucking like 'you should've stayed in Florida," I tell him.

"Alex, why do you care so much? I thought you were dating Noelle?" David points out. "No, I'm not dating Noelle, I agreed to the date tonight so I could see Mara and I could be there when Justin in. God, I don't like them together. He has a bad temper, and he's not understanding in the slightest."

"Does Noelle know you like Mara?" David asks. "What? No. I mean, no, I don't like Mara. I just care about her from a friend's standpoint," I say but David doesn't believe it. "No, Alex. I'm her friend, you're in love with her," David tells me. "No, I'm not, David. I don't like her, I barely even know her," I say, lying even more.

Yes, I don't know Mara that much, not as much as Justin or Noelle, but I know I like her. I just don't want to admit it, because once I admit it out loud, then everything changes. "Dom, can you come in here for a minute?" David shouts and Dom comes out from our bedroom. "Yeah, what's up?"

"Alex and Mara, go," David says. "He likes her, she has jerk boyfriend, Alex is upset because he can't be with her, so he goes after best friend so he can still spend time with Mara," Dom says.

"How do you even know that?" I shout in disbelief at Dom. He wasn't at the guy's house yesterday, so how does he know? How does he even know about Justin?

"Just because I'm busy doesn't mean I'm oblivious. In fact, even if I was oblivious, I would still be able to tell that you like her. I'll be surprised if she doesn't even know," Dom says. "How does everyone know?" I ask.

"Cause you stare at her constantly. You always watch her, and if something happens, you're the first one to help her," Dom says. I groan as I collapse on the couch. "But she has a fucking boyfriend and her damn roommate is an ass," I point out.

"What do you mean?" David asks. "Noelle told Mara that if she doesn't stop talking to me, she's going to kick her out of the apartment." "Over a guy? What the fuck," David says.

"I don't know, she's crazy. And now we're going on a date in.. literally 20 minutes. Oh shit, 20 minutes," I realize that it's only 20 minutes and hurry to my room to change. I don't want to dress nice, but I don't want to look like an asshole. "Hey, Alex! If you really want to impress them, I'll let you take the Tesla," David shouts.

Thank god. Justin will be so jealous.

I choose some black dress pants and just a tan button down shirt. I head up to their apartment again 5 till and knock on the door. Noelle opens the door, wearing a nice blue dress. Noelle is very pretty, don't get me wrong. Just not someone I can see myself with. She's just.. too much.

"Hey," I say. She brings me into a hug, but I wasn't really expecting it so I'm kind of awkwardly hunched over as she's a lot smaller than me.

"Is that Alex?" I hear and immediately my ears perk up. I walk out of the doorway and into the living room. "Wow, Alex Ernst really went all out. I expected you to come in a hoodie and khakis," Mara laughs. I smile. She looks really good.

She's wearing a blue and white floral dress with a white cardigan. Her brown hair is curled and falls gently on her shoulder. "What about you, Mar? You look great," I compliment. "No one looks as great as Alex though," Noelle intervenes. Immediately, Justin walks out of Mara's room with black dress pants, a black blazer, and a white button up with a black tie.