Chapter fourteen

Shikamaru POV

Naruto was crying. My heart ached as I saw the look of utter despair on his face. It killed me to see him this way. Unconsciously my hand reached his shoulder to comfort the broken blonde.

"I didn't know I had any left." the blonde sobbed in surprise.

My leapt in to my throat. Not even my Nara attitude could help me in this situation. I was completely unguarded. All I could do is stay in silence. No smart comebacks or troublesome.

"Naruto, everything will be okay. I'll be here for you unlike before." The words seemed to leave my mouth naturally.

Naruto looked at me in shock for a few seconds. Shiro stirred and our staring competition ended. Slowly he opened his eyes. We  both leaned forward in anticipation.

"Naruto nii-chan. I missed you. Sorry, you sent me away to protect me and we both suffered for so long just for it to  be futile. I tracked Jiraya so far but he was always disappearing with women. Two weeks ago, I was attacked by Orochimaru when I had lost Jiraya. I'm sorry, I went to Konoha but finally tracked you here." Shiro hugged Naruto.

Naruto patted his head with a foreign fondness I had never seen from him before, not even with his mask before. Not even with Minami.

"Oh yeah, Shiro this is Shikamaru. He's my friend - I think.Well at least he is the closest I have to one in Konoha anyway. I want you to meet him." Naruto grinned pulling me forward.

Shiro grinned and shook my hand.

"Friend huh? Are you sure Naruto? You two would look cute together as a couple, especially as you trust him so much Naruto. Before you would kill anyone who even tried to look at me never mind heal me." Shiro laugh slightly, wincing at the movement.

I felt my cheeks heat up slightly, Naruto turning slightly pink too. 

"Stop making jokes Shiro. We are just friends. Nothing more, I'm serious." Naruto brushed the topic swiftly away.

----------------------------------------

I quite like Shikanaru and it was joint top. Sorry if you didn't want it. If you are uncomfortable about reading that's fine by me but if you read on thank you very much for putting up with me.