A Winters Ball

"Oh, Diana," said Anne

"Oh, Diana," said Anne. She suddenly stopped on the staircase and clutched Diana's arm. "I'm almost scared. This is a momentous occasion for little Anne Shirley! Who ever thought I'd be going to a ball?"

It was the Winter after Anne's first year at Green Gables, and the two Avonlea girls had gone to stay with Diana's Aunt Josephine for a week. And Ruby Gillis had come along with them.

The girls were beyond ecstatic when they learned they would be able to attend a winter ball being held for young folks such as themselves.

"There is no need to be scared, Anne," said Diana with a laugh.

"It's supposed to be fun, not scary," added Ruby.

"Oh, but I do hope I look alright!" said Anne fretfully.

"You look marvelous," said Diana with a smile.

And she meant every word of it. Diana had been told she herself was pretty, but somehow in comparison to Anne, she always felt rather plain.

Anne was dressed in blue, and her red hair was in one long braid down her back. Behind her freckles, she wore an eager and nervous expression.

"Come Anne," said Diana, looping her arm around Anne's. "I'll be with you the whole while."

"And so will I," said Ruby resolutely.

And so the the girls descended the staircase which they were blocking up, and entered the ball room.

It was being held by a rich family who had several teenagers in their household. The dancing was held in their parlor.

"Oh, girls!" said Anne rapturously as they entered the parlor. "Can you imagine having a parlor such as this?"

"Yes," Ruby said decidedly, "I plan on having one someday."

It certainly was a nice parlor, with mahogany floors and elegant decorations. A hired band was playing cheerful music which the guests were dancing too.

"And look at how positively lovely everyone looks!" said Anne. "Oh it's all too wonderful"

"It certainly does look like fun," said Diana, tapping her foot in rhythm to the music.

A moment later the host, a young man only a few years older than the girls, appeared before them. He welcomed all the girls to the ball, then asked Diana for a dance.

This left Anne and Ruby alone. The lingered awkwardly on the sidelines, not knowing anyone around them.

"I do hope a handsome young man will come dance with me," said Ruby wistfully.

"Well, I may not be a handsome young man," said Anne, turning to Ruby, "But may I have this dance?"

Grinning the two girls took to the dance floor. They giggled as they spun around in circles.