Cordelia's Prince | Contest Winner

This story won our Come Home Someday Contest!

Written by: EmilieTanner1124

I sat on the hay not listening to what Jerry was blabbering on about. It was kind of ironic as it was usually the other way around.

"So Gilbert Blyt —"

"What about him?" I asked, quickly standing up.

"Nothing. I was just trying to see if you were paying attention." Jerry smirked.

I shook my head, walking out of the barn-house, flipping my red awful red hair. It had been more than a year since Gilbert left and I was missing him, more than I would have cared to admit. I shouldn't miss him. Not the cocky, arrogant boy who called me 'carrots'.

I stepped into my room, flopping on to the bed. As I sat my eyes wandered to my Jane Eyre book on the small table. I opened it and started to act as Princess Cordelia.

I was in a romantic Parisian library filled with hundreds of wonderful stories. I walked to the cherry tree, the book still in my pale hands when I saw a beautiful flower blooming. It was rare for a flower to grow at this time of the year, so I reached out my hand, but the book fell out from my fingers landing on the hard ground below.

I quickly ran down the stairs and burst open the door, but the book was gone.

"Anne with an e."

I heard a familiar voice and I turned to see a certain brunette boy, smiling a wonderful smile at me, and a book in his hands.

"Gilbert," I breathed.

He stared at me as I did him, not really believing that we were actually here. I fake coughed and he looked around, trying not to make eye contact with me again.

"Umm, here's your book," Gilbert said, handing me the book and finding a leaf on a near tree particularly interesting.

"I missed you," I blurted out, then put a hand over my mouth.

His lips twitched up in a smile. "I missed you too . . . "

He looked as if he were going to say something else but shook his head, changing his mind. "Uhh, so why was your book on the floor? I never thought that would be done by a girl like you."

"It was an accident. I saw a flower in the tree and flowers aren't going to bloom for another month or so . . . So, I tried to reach for it and my book slipped from my hands — you know what, it's none of your business," I said, huffing my arms crossed over my chest, also trying to keep myself from the cold air.

Gilbert, noticing this said, "Umm, well, do you need help? I can get it for you."

"Thank you, I would love that." Then I added, "Bur I don't need your help just so you know."

"Oh I know," he teased as he followed me into my bedroom.

His long arm reached for the flower, easily pulling it out. Before I could take it he gently placed it in my red hair. His hands lingered on the side of my face before abruptly running them through his dark hair.

"If you want you could stay." I saw him raise his eyebrows. "I'm pretending to be a girl named Cordelia. Isn't Cordelia the most divine name?" I asked dreamily.

"No," he said simply.

"No?" I placed my hands on my waist.

"It is second to the most prettiest, wonderful beautiful name in the world," he said, a faint red color upon his cheeks.

"Which one?" I asked , curiosity filling me.

"Anne."