Elaine's Rescuer

Fourteen year old Anne Shirley-Cuthburt stood on the Banks of Barry's pond alongside her beloved Diana, and Ruby Gillis, Jane Andrews and Tillie Boulter.

She had grown taller in the year that had passed since coming to Green Gables, but was still just as skinny and freckled much to the girl's dismay. Her hair, Anne had managed to convince herself after squinting at her reflection for a good twenty minutes in a mirror, was slowly turning auburn.

Summer had arrived on Prince Edwards Island and the five girls were taking advantage of the warm weather by dramatizing the story of The Lady of Shalott down by Barry's pond, or, as Anne liked to call it, the Lake of Shining Waters.

The girl's stood along the reedy shore, accompanied by Diana's father's boat

"Now, you must be Elaine, Anne," said Diana.

Anne turned to her bosom friend, her freckled face filling with sudden anguish.

"Oh but I can't be Elaine, Diana!" said Anne.

"But you must!" insisted Ruby bossily. "It was your idea! Besides, I couldn't lie there and pretend to be dead! I just couldn't! I'd actually die!"

"I couldn't either," said Diana.

"Me neither," agreed Tillie, looking slightly sickened by the bear thought.

"I'd be popping up every few seconds to make sure I wasn't drifting astray!" said Jane, "And you know Anne, that would ruin the effect."

"But we can't have a red-headed Elaine!" protested Anne. "I would so love to be Elaine, but it's ridiculous! Ruby, you ought to be Elaine because you're so fair and have such lovely long golden hair!"

"You're just as fair as Ruby-" said Diana.

"But I've got freckles," said Anne ruthfully.

"- and your hairs so much darker then it ever was before!" continued Diana.

Anne's face brightened.

"Oh Diana, do you really mean that? I've sometimes thought it myself, but I never dared to ask anyone for fear she would tell me it wasn't. Do you think it could be called auburn now, Diana?"

 Do you think it could be called auburn now, Diana?"

"Yes, and I think it's real pretty," said Diana.

A wide, buck-toothed smile spread across Anne's face, and she held her chin up high.