Chapter 5

AUSTIN POV

"Thank you, I can't say how sorry I am. I love you Lilith."

"I love you to dad." I had tears in my eyes. I gave her a hug and wiped my eyes.

"I'll bring up the rest of your stuff, okay?"

"Okay." Lilith said, distracted by her room"

I walked back down to the car, grabbing the rest of her stuff. I had been hoping that she would have been more open to me, more excited to stay with me rather than the orphanage, but I guess not.

When I get upstairs, I noticed that Lilith was fast asleep on her bed under the covers. I smiled at her ability to fall asleep so fast when I noticed the scared expression on her face.

She starts to mutter "no." "No, stay away."

I began to sympathize for her. She was in pain and suffering because of something she could not control. It was not her fault that she got raped and sexually abused. It was the world's. I wanted to shake her awake, but I know she doesn't like to be touched. So I sat in my room waiting, waiting for her to scream.

Hours later I hear her scream "Help!" I start sprinting into Lilith's room, I open the door.

I look in her bed. She's sitting straight up huffing and puffing air she looks scared, she's sweating, and her hair is everywhere.

"Lilith, are you alright?"

She nodded.

"I-I'm fine."

"No, no you're not. You were screaming. What were you dreaming about?"

"It wasn't a dream it was a nightmare."

"Do you want to tell me about it?" desperately wanting an answer.

"No. I can't. 

"Why not?"

"Because it was personal, and I don't want to share it. This nightmare was about my past, about the man. That's all I will tell you."

I nodded my head and asked; "Can I give you a hug?"

"U-umm...  I-I guess.." I leaned in and opened my arms and she did the same. I rested my chin on her shoulder and Lilith has her face in the crook of my neck. We were both crying. 

"I'm so sorry that I can't protect you from everything. I will try to be the best dad I can. I love you."

"I love you to dad."

In that moment, I felt infinite.