16

"I'm sending you on a journey tomorrow. You are to lead a group of new recruits. You can have three accompanies of your choice on your journey, so choose wisely," King Caerleon informed me.

"Sire, may I ask where this journey leads us?" I asked him.

"No where in particular, but you must stay in the Darkling forest for eighteen days. I don't wish for you to search for danger. Do I make myself clear?" He looked me in the eyes.

"Yes, my lord, but what is the ambition of this journey?" I asked.

"To help these soldiers find their courage. This should teach them how to fight under certain circumstances. Danger will find you, and you must learn how to lead an army quickly," Caerleon replied, "so, if you have no more questions, you may leave and start getting ready." He smiled at me as he sat down at his desk.

"Thank you, my lord." I bowed my head and walked out of his study. I, Myrddin Ambrosius, am going on my first journey as a leader at the age of thirteen. It was a weird feeling, but I was still excited. I just have to choose who is going to come along.

"Merlin!" I jumped at the shout of my name. I turned around to find Arthur staring at me with worry. I looked down at what I was doing previously: making his bed. I finished up and looked towards the king.

"Yes, sire?" I asked.

"Are you okay? Merlin, you stopped working, and you didn't answer my calls until now. Also, you never use my title unless you're being sarcastic," Arthur stated, "And I haven't seen you smile in these past three days."

"I'm sorry, but I'm perfectly fine right now." I replied.

Arthur hesitated before he turned back to his work, "I'm never going to get anywhere with you, am I?"

"There's nothing to worry about. Trust me," I reassured him.

"Alright, why don't you go do my laundry then? It always cheers you up," Arthur smirked. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his laundry basket. I made my way down to the laundry clearers.

"Philip, wait!" I called as I ran down the corridor. He stopped and waited. I reached him and smiled. "Good morning," I breathed out.

"Good afternoon, Myrddin." He corrected me.

"All right, now. I have a question for you," I stated as we began walking.

"What is it?" He asked.

"How would you like to go on a journey with me?" I asked causing his blue eyes to brighten at the mere thought.

"May I ask what this journey is about?" He questioned with a small smile hinting on his face.

"I'm to lead a group of new recruits and three accompanies into the Darkling forest for eighteen days," I explained. His face fell, and he stopped walking. "What?"

"The Darkling forest? New recruits?" Philip asked like I was crazy. "Do you understand the danger that lies ahead if you continue on this journey?"

"No, not really, but it was the kings orders, and I must oblige." I replied. He sighed in frustration. "I can't disobey orders, Philip."

"I understand. Well, if you are going, then I must go," he sighed.

"If you are too afraid to go, I can't ask you to do this for me," I said.

"You are my friend, Myrddin. I would always help you out," he replied with a smile, "and I'm not afraid of anything. You know that!" I laughed at his attempt to sound genuine.