Regrets and Payback

Que and I were at the hospital first visiting my mother. She looked so weak and frail. I hated to see her like this. The chemo was taking its toll on her and it was taking its toll on me. In fact this whole ordeal was taking its toll on me. When my mom finally noticed that I was there she smiled and motioned for me to come over. Que hung back because he felt that I needed that time with her. I walked to the bed taking her outreached hand in mines.

"January I want you to listen and let me say what I need to say without you interrupting."

I nodded.

"I know that I haven't been a mother to you and I have done so much wrong to you. I was just in a bad place which isn't and excuse for how I treated you."

"I don't deserve you or your care because I never showed you I cared nor did I even tell you. I have made so many bad decisions in my life but one good decision was me giving birth to you."

I just stood there trying to hold my emotions in as best as I could but I felt the tears streaming down my face. I am so tired of all this crying.

"I regret treating you the way that I did and if I could go back I would. Your father called me when he found out and he is coming here in a couple weeks. So you will get to meet him."

She started coughing and I reached over on the table and poured her a glass of water. I lifted her head and let her sip from the cup.

"Honey I do love you even back then I did but I was not willing to accept the fact because I was hurting when your father left." She said with a pained expression.

"Mom don't talk right now just get some rest. I do forgive you and hope that we get to work on our relationship because I love you too."

She gave my hand a light squeeze and I kissed her cheek. I walked over to Que and he gave me a warm hug without me saying a word.

I sighed and headed out of her room. We headed to Johntae's room and his father Anthony was there.

I walked over and hugged Anthony and then went to my brother's bed smiling at him as he was sleeping. He must have felt me staring because he opened his eyes looking dead at me.

"You do know it is not polite to stare at folks when they are sleeping."

"Shut up. How are you feeling?"

"I am still in some pain but I am glad to be out of ICU. I still can't believe that someone intentionally sabotaged my car."

"I know. It doesn't make any sense."

I looked over and Que was mugging me and I knew why. He was thinking about the message that was left on my mirror and how my door was opened when I went to get some clothes. I really didn't mention this to anyone. So far only Que knows and I know he feels some type of way. I should have known that my brother was going to read into the look passed between Que and I.

"Umm one y'all betta speak up and tell me what the hell is going on. I might me a little crippled right now but I damned sure not blind."

I sighed and turned rolling my eyes at Que ass. He get on my nerves sometimes, but I love the shit out of him tho.

"Well baby sis since you ain't gone speak I am gone let Que tell me what's going on."

"Johnt-"

He cut me off before I could finish. "I gave you a chance to say something but now you choose to speak but I think I will just holla Que cause I know he ain't gone bullshit me."

The whole time Anthony thought this shit was funny. He knew how overprotective my brother was when it came to me. I mugged the hell out of all three of them as I went and sat in the chair by the window.