Chapter 23: Graduation Day Pt. 2

Michael

I spotted Jessica as soon as she pulled in the parking lot but she ran in another direction. So I went after Keisha and Shan instead to see if they could help me out.

As soon as they walked in the gym I followed behind them as they went to sit on the bleachers. When they turned around and sat down I walked up to them. When they looked up and saw me they immediately started mean mugging me. I knew then that she had told them something had went down between us.

"What you want niggah?" Shan said before I could even open my mouth.

"I-"

"You what niggah?" Keisha said jumping in.

"Listen I know Jessi told y'all something went down between us. I don't know what she exactly told y'all but I really need y'all help."

" Help with what?" They say at the same time.

" I need y'all to help me get her back and get her to forgive me for the disrespectful shit I said."

" Why should we help you?" Keisha said still mean mugging the hell outta me.

"Because I love her and I jumped to conclusions off of a big ass misunderstanding. I called her out of her name and was mad rude And I'm pretty sure she won't speak to me because of the shit I said but that girl got my heart and I'm sorry as hell bruh." I say as they still mean mug me. But then I see their eyes shift to behind me and I see Jessica standing not to far away looking confused.

I try to walk up to her but she turns around and walks away.

"Y'all see what I mean, I need y'all help. " I say to Keisha and Shan as they look at me with pity in their eyes.

"Yeah we got you." Then say as they get up to go after her.

Jessica

"Jessica Wait!!" I hear Shan and Keisha yell as I make my way back to the front.

"Whatever it is I don't want to hear it. Go get in line we're about to start." I say as I turn around to them.

"Okay fine but we talking about this afterwards." Shan says as they turn around to get in line.

"Okay, Valedictorian and Salutatorian up front, lets get this show on the road." Principal Edwards yells

I make my way to the front and we begin to want out onto our football field to our seats as Pomp and Circumstance plays. The teachers are already in their seats.

As I sit down I start to zone out until I hear my name called to give my speech and the crowd goes wild.

As I make my way to the podium up on the stage I look into the audience. As I look I see Tony, His Mother, and some of the gang but what surprised me is that I see Turk sitting right beside them. As I continue to look I see a figure walking towards the bleachers and that's when I recognize that it's my father.

From that point I start to get teary eyed. I clear my throat and begin to speak.

"To the Class of 2017, We made it!!!" I yell, laughing a bit, causing the crowd to cheer. "It's a blessing to see how far we came and also to see we also have a long ways to go. The journey doesn't stop here. This is only the end of one chapter but also the beginning of another. Along this journey we have all matured to become young adults. Throughout our different stages of maturing we have gained some people and sadly lost some people." I say looking from Michael to Turk. "But I'm happy to say this is not the end and its never too late to make some changes. Changes that will have positive outcomes." I say looking over the crowd and locking eyes with my dad. " This journey, by all means, will not be easy. We will have some bumps in the road but it's up to us to determine the outcome of our lives and how we overcome those bumps. A unknown person once said 'It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to where you're going as long as you don't stop.' I say that to say this, Just because we don't get to where we wanna be as fast as we want doesn't mean we should stop but keep going. Every hindrance that is placed in front of us we should try to overcome it not just stop because things get tough." With a deep breath I finish off with saying. " Whatever you do in life do it to your best abilities. Remember not to quit and that God is always there and he always has your back. I thank God for each and everyone of you. I pray that that we all achieve our goals in life. Thank you to the faculty and staff of this beautiful establishment for helping us cross this milestone." I say gesturing around. " God bless you all and Congratulations!!!" I yell. The crowd stands with an uproar if applause.

After I sit down the Superintendent stands and finishes off the ceremony. At the end we all go to the end zone and toss our caps. Afterwards everyone's family and friends start to pile onto the field while I search the crowd for my dad.

When I spot him, he and Tony's mother are talking surrounded by the whole gang including Kiesha, Shan, and Michael. I walk up behind my dad and tap him on the shoulder. He turns around surprised and pulls me into a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of you baby girl." He says crying and squeezing the life out of me.

At this point I'm just speechless and don't know how to respond so I just stand there I don't know whether to hug him and be happy or slap him for all the shit he's put me through. So instead of doing either I gently push him away with a forced smile and say we'll talk later, as I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I turn around to see Turk and yet again I'm pulled into a hug. This time I hug back but I also break down. I know we haven't been seeing eye to eye lately but this still my brother and he know me just as well as I know myself if not more.

Everything I've been through starts going through my head and also how bad I wish my mother was here to see this. I know she left me but damn I wanna know why. Turk only hugs me tighter and keeps whispering it's okay like he did for me when we were younger as I cry into his chest. After a few minutes I feel another body hugging me from behind and by the perfume I can tell it's Kiesha.

They continue to rock me side to side while I calm down. When I'm finish I wipe my face and kiss both of them on the cheek.

I look up and around and my eyes land right on Shan and Michael in an embrace.

This Bitch.....