Chapter 31 Whatever Tomorrow Brings

Whatever Tomorrow Brings

Hildegard, Lady Marchwell was seething , she had heard the latest gossip that her ward Elizabeth was back in town. For the hundredth time that day Hildegard imagined what her life would have been if it was Olivia's room which the Marquis had entered . It was Olivia who had been compromised but No, Olivia was a useless twit. Too virtuous to allow herself to be compromised, even for her mother's sake. The sniveling little chit wanted an "honorable" match. As if she could get a rich man with but pinched-up face of hers. Looked the very image of her useless father.

Idiots! She was surrounded by idiots!

Except for Lizzie. The clever little bitch had landed a handsome husband, a new wardrobe, and all the invitations to the balls .All at Hildegard's expense, by God! Well then she might as well pay that chit a visit and remind her that she owed something to her family

What Hildegard did not admit, except to herself, was that the real source of her rage was that she had not thought of it first. There had been any number of rich young lord lings at that house party. Olivia could have landed herself a real catch. Now the opportunity was lost. Two such incidents in one family would put paid to the Marchwell name.

To say Lizzie was surprised to see her cousin was an understatement , but she almost fainted in shock when Alexander came in suddenly and sprung to her defense upon hearing her cousin's vicious accusations and the shrieking tirades. She could recall the scene even now .

"My dear lady, I hope I may count on you to disregard common gossip. Elizabeth's virtue shall not be questioned, by you or any other. The future duchess of Cambridge must have no stain follow her." Alexander had stated in a very quiet voice

"Duchess!" Hildegard had paled, then reddened as her gaze locked on Lizzie.

Lizzie fancied she could see the wheels turning in her cousin's head. Perhaps Hildegard was remembering the many small indignities she had heaped on Lizzie over the years: the small cold bed chamber, the cheap gowns, the rudeness, the demands. As Lizzie watched Hildegard's color deepen, she wondered if her cousin was recalling the last hellish week which she had given Lizzie before her marriage ,

Lizzie smiled serenely.

No more abuse from that quarter now . At least there was some advantage of marrying a tyrant .

And then her cousin had become all sugar , honey and butter .....

"Lizzie, dear, do tell me if you will be attending tonight's event, which of your lovely gowns are you planning on wearing tonight?"

That change of temper had made eye her cousin warily. What could Hildegard be up to? "I have yet to decide. Why do you ask?"

"Well, since Olivia will, of course, be wearing white, I thought it might be a rather fetching sight if her ribbons matched your gown. Family colors, as it were."

Ah. The Marchwells were planning to crash the ball uninvited. They no doubt imagined that Lizzie's ties to the duke would prevent comment. Well, perhaps they were correct, but it angered her to be used thus. But then she owed this much to them after all they were her only family left now .

Alexander had been unable to concentrate on the conversation between his friends , he was missing Elizabeth , after spending nearly a month exclusively in her company , he realized that even a few hours without her seemed to be tiresome and hence he had decided to come home to rectify the problem , only to find Lizzie being subjected to some very humiliating remarks .