Chapter 4 Wedding woes

Wedding Woes 

The sun was very warm as Lizzie got down from her cousins carriage outside the church. She saw several people waiting to watch and wave as she entered the beautiful Norman church. They smiled and clapped as they saw her, calling out good wishes for her wedding. Lizzie's hand trembled slightly on her cousin's arm, but she controlled the wave of nerves that had swept over her. 

She had slept very poorly since Rothsay had left her last night .She knew now there was no way out. Maybe life with Rothsay may not be such a bad deal .She did not understand him because she hardly knew him. He seemed so harsh and arrogant at times but there was another man beneath the mask he showed to the world -or was she deceiving herself? She would at least have access to all the parties allowing her the ideal position to carry out inquiries into her sister's death. 

Her stomach tightened with a spasm of nerves as she saw him waiting for her in front of the altar. How tall and strong he was, as he turned to look at her walk down the aisle, she was aware of his masculinity as never before. Would he claim the privilege of a bridegroom tonight or would he respect her wishes. The thought made her lips part on a sigh and tension pooled in her abdomen. 

She turned her head to look at him as she drew to a halt by his side, and her heart missed a beat. 

Lizzie forced herself to concentrate on the service. Rothsay was word perfect when giving his vows, but she stumbled over the word obey and his head turned sharply towards her, one brow arching in inquiry .Lizzie trembled as the vicar pronounced them man and wife and then Rothsay lifted her pretty veil to kiss her lightly on her lips. 

Cocking his head, he perused her changed appearance. What a shock it had been. He felt as though she was someone else altogether now. Some unknown girl, not plain and dowdy Lizzie. It could not simply be the grand new clothes. The wedding gown shimmered in the sunlight, yet not as brightly as her porcelain skin. 

She was made to be seen by natural light, so pale and delicate. The soft glow defined the angles of her face and the fullness of her lips. On white cheeks lay sooty lashes, shades darker than the burnished sable of her hair. 

How had he not seen this before? Until tonight he would have wagered the dukedom on his ability to spot a pretty woman. Yet he had spent hours with this singular female and never seen the beauty in her. 

Although, he did seem to remember noting a certain dainty grace, a pixie-like ease of movement. But this! 

She hadn't the plump pink-and-gold appeal currently in fashion. She was midnight mist and moonlight, with surprising flares of passion and righteous anger. He smiled, thinking of her anger earlier and how her eyes had flashed and her breasts heaved. Letting his gaze travel down her neck, he considered those breasts. Once, he would have found them a bit small for his taste. He was usually drawn to more lush charms. Yet her figure seemed somehow perfect as it was, proportioned beautifully to her diminutive delicacy. The warm light from the sun accentuated the shadowed cleft between them, drawing his eye. It was surprising how tempting he found them. Swelling white and smooth over the low décolletage of her gown, they seemed to call for a touch, his touch. His hand clenched at his side with the effort of not reaching for her satiny flesh. He could feel the blaze of the fire behind him. It was nothing compared to the blaze within him. 

Pulling his gaze up with superhuman effort, he saw with a jolt that her eyes were now open. She regarded him steadily, eyes dark and wide. 

Clearing a suddenly dry throat, he held out his hand. "Come, my dear. It is time." 

And so Lizzie was married to a man she did not love-a elegant bride at whose appearance gasps of surprise and admiration were uttered from all sides of the church. The bearded vicar looked enviously at her husband, so tall and distinguished as he stood at her side.