Chapter 25 The Touch of Fire

The Touch of Fire

He'd got it so wrong. This time he intended getting it right and he couldn't wait to start. But he had to be patient . Alexander lifted his mouth from hers.

Lizzie shivered as she felt the warmth of her husband's body leave her .It was bitter cold , colder than she had ever been . And a throbbing agony darted along her shoulders and spine as she tried to move . She opened her eyes wincing at the pain and stirred her legs slightly .

Doctor Bert rushed in and took charge .After what seemed like ages the doctor - gave his verdict. 'It's deep.' It was still oozing blood and the area around the jagged tear in her smooth flesh was red, inflamed and angry-looking.'But not life-threatening.'

Through the haze of pain , Lizzie was dimly conscious of the next few hours .A hot brick was placed next to her to warm her .Expert fingers were probing her wound , sending stars of agony dancing in front of her eyes , till finally a very bitter medicine was forced down her throat . And sleep over came her as Alexander placed a light reassuring kiss over her lips .

He was still there when she awoke briefly around dawn , her hand firmly clasped in his . She tried to smile at him , he stroked her cheek without speaking until she drifted back to welcoming darkness again .

She awoke a second time that morning , some hours later . It was bright and very quiet and Alexander was dozing beside her . His cheeks and chin were dark with beard , and she studied his tired face dreamily , until she herself fell back into a light doze

She woke up again sometime in the afternoon to find herself with Mary , in his room. But her husband was nowhere to be seen .

'"Oh Ma'am , You are awake at last , you gave us all such a scare. Well its all over now , the doctors say you are now out of danger..... I almost forgot " Mary rattled off . "You must be hungry ma'am , cook has prepared a delicious meal for you --"

"Where is his lordship ?" Lizzie interrupted .

"He has gone ridding ma'am , he didn't leave your side even once in the last three days , till the doctor pronounced you as being out of danger, "Mary said and rushed out to bring food .

She had been in her stupor for three whole days , and Alexander had been beside her all the time , did he then care for her or was he just worried for his heir ? She wished he was here to answer all those doubts in her mind .

To her surprise Lizzie discovered she was hungry-very hungry. This had to be a good sign, didn't it? A few cautious stretches confirmed that most of the aches and pains from the previous night had gone.Then after a long a leisure bath , Mary tucked her in her bed and left her . Sleep soon took over her

Alexander laughed at himself . Did he actually want his wife fall in love with him. He was a man who had spent the last months ruthlessly hunting for his brother's killers . He sought them out one by one , challenged them to duels and them slaughtered them with swords . She would cringe in horror if she came to know of his truth .Instead he should pray she never truly saw his soul .

He should let go of her , but now it was too late,she was now going to be the mother of his child , a future duchess . And for all those reasons and the very fact that he loved her , he would keep her safe from his enemies . If in doing this he was made the villain in the eyes of his wife , so be it .

He knew now the rules of their marriage were changed , so much more was at stake . Now there would be no time to make his wife fall in love with him . She will now simply be forced to obey him , she was young and he would teach her , seduce her into obedience , so be it.