Chapter 26 His Ruthless Heart

His Ruthless Heart

Lizzie slowly awoke as if from the depths of a deep, summer pool.

Bright sunlight poured in the curtains, she had a overwhelming impression of being warm, relaxed and deliciously comfortable. All this, she thought drowsily, in total contrast to her miserable night with its fragmented dreams

She felt...content, refreshed, and so deliciously warm. Yet, as her awareness increased, several disturbing facts made themselves evident.

She opened her eyes and found herself staring across the bare, sculpted chest of Alexander. Somehow, without even trying, she'd lured him to her bed. She raised her gaze and saw his profile, calm and peaceful in sleep, dark eyelashes fanned across his cheeks.

Somehow, in the night, she had been moved across the bedrooms and she was now lying in the master's bed .But she wasn't just in his bed, for heaven's sake, but right up against him as if she'd been glued to his spine. Her legs had somehow become entangled with his and her body had adapted every inch of itself to fit the long, lean curve of his back, her breasts crushed against its hard muscularity, and her arm draped round his waist. Moreover, her face was pressed between his shoulder blades, so that her nose and mouth were filled with the warm, clean scent of his skin.

Lizzie lay for a moment, hardly daring to breathe, intensely conscious of the violent, erratic beat of her heart. Out of one nightmare into another, she thought with horror. Dear God, I 'am practically inside him.

Alexander clearly hadn't moved an inch and, fortunately, was still sleeping deeply and peacefully.

Slowly, her bottom lip caught in her teeth, she began to detach herself from him, little by little, before edging stealthily backwards, every nerve-ending attuned to the possibility that he might wake up, and then..... .......

But she wouldn't consider that. She'd just concentrate on freeing herself. All the same, it seemed an eternity before she could slide out from under the covers altogether and she stifled a gasp as her warm skin encountered the icy air in the room.

She stood slowly. She was still sore, muscles aching all over and especially between her legs. She turned with extreme caution.

Tiptoeing about, trying to avoid any sound, she found her nightdress and pulled it on. It might not be picturesque, and it certainly wasn't sexy, but it provided a much-needed layer of insulation, she thought, topping it with a quilted gilet for good measure.

Noiselessly, she drew back the curtains and looked out. It had snowed again in the night, she saw without pleasure, and there were still a few flakes whirling past the window from the slate-grey sky.And small wonder that it was freezing, she thought, testing the fire with a cautious finger. There was no heat coming from it.

The room started to swim and she leaned back against the fireplace .

Alexander stared down at the empty bed. There was an emptiness inside him and he did not know why. He had, after all, done exactly what he had intended. He had taken Lizzie to bed again and enjoyed every ounce of her seasoned ripeness. And made very, very sure that she enjoyed him too

Desire sucked at him. He wanted to feel her soft, silky body beneath his, wanted to see her hair fan out around her beautiful, impassioned face, wanted to feel again that satin sinking of his body into hers, feel the taut arching of her spine, the lush softness of her breasts thrusting against him, hear the soft, helpless moans she'd given as he'd stroked her higher and higher, into an orgasm that had convulsed her body, ignited his, rocking them both with its white-hot intensity