Chapter 27 The Belated Honeymoon

The Belated Honeymoon

'He has not spoken, sir. But there was a scrap of cloth caught on a bush nearby and it matches a piece we found near where the lady Elizabeth was shot.

'Have you set men to search for the trail?' Alexander asked fiercely. 'What of the man you found-have you brought him here?'

He is in the men's quarters now my lord , but it might be too late to save him for he has lost much blood. He will not survive more than a few hours ,my lord ."

No. No , not another blind lead . How was he to now find out that silent partner ! The brains behind his brother's murder .

He shifted in his chair. If he could just get it over with. Richard, kill him, put the man in his grave, and let his brother rest at last. Maybe then he could look Lizzie in the eye without seeing accusation-imaginary or real. Maybe then he could sleep without fear that he'd wake to the destruction of all his hopes. Because he couldn't sleep now. He knew he woke Lizzie at night with his movements, but there seemed no help for it. His dreams, both waking and sleeping, were filled with images of Lizzie. Lizzie in danger, or injured or-God!-dead. Lizzie finding out his secrets and turning from him in disgust. Lizzie leaving him. And when he had respite from those nightmares, there were the older ones to haunt him. His father ridiculing him. His brother needing him. And dying when he could not help.

Alexander stared into the fire blazing in the hearth. Beyond the glow from the fire, the great hall was dark, lost in flickering shadow and absolutely silent. It was close to midnight , and he had spent the whole day holed up in his study. He knew he should get some sleep , but would not be able to .Which was in itself amazing, after last night's and today's sexual excess. But he was feeling too disturbed to sleep.

This was the first night she had gotten to sleep before dawn. The demands of Alexander's lovemaking had somehow managed to keep her awake all night every night since that fateful day when she had been injured. She got the feeling that Alexander was accustomed to staying up all night. He seemed in the habit of not going to bed until after dawn. Most of the nights Alexander used to come and join her in bed immediately after dinner , and he used to remain there till early morning , when he left her for his usual ride

She climbed into her bed and blew out the taper but could not sleep. She turned onto her side, cuddling her pillow, listening for Alex.

Waiting for him-yearning for him.

Lizzie realized the extent of her passion for him. She stiffened, clutching her pillow to her breasts. She had only spent two days with him, and already she was behaving-and feeling-like a love struck whore.

The extent of his need for her love made him uneasy, but he could no longer deny it.

As he watched, she stirred on the bed, snuggling into a more comfortable position. Alexander peeled off his coat and tossed it onto a chair. He removed his dangling cravat and threw it aside. As he walked around the bed he started to unfasten his shirt.

He was unable to take his eyes off Lizzie. His body was already taut with desire. When he had

Finished undoing his shirt, he went down on one knee and slid his hand beneath the her nightgown . He closed his fingers around her soft thigh and leaned forward and kissed her slightly parted lips.

"Alexander?" Elizabeth's lashes fluttered and then opened partway. She looked up at him with drowsy eyes . He covered her mouth with his own, deliberately deepening the kiss to cut off her sleepy protest. After a second or two, she did not try to argue. Instead she sighed softly and wrapped her arms around his neck.