The Road To Love

The Road To Love

His mother and Eleanor would see Lizzie safely home as planned. Alexander decided he could afford to spend an hour or so at one of his clubs before returning to the house.

He was in a much more cheerful mood than he had been earlier that day and the reason was clear. It was true Lizzie was still angry with him, still feeling defiant and hurt by his failure to condone her actions that morning. But he had satisfied himself that she had been telling the truth, as usual, when she had claimed to be in love with him.

He had been almost certain of it when he'd found the bracelet flung in a heap on his pillow this afternoon. It was why he had not barged straight into her bedchamber and put the bracelet on her wrist himself. Only a woman in love would hurl such an expensive gift back in a man's face and hold out for a sonnet instead. He was no good at sonnets, but he might try his hand at a short note to accompany the bracelet the next time he tried to give it to Lizzie. He could envision her wearing the stones and nothing else. The image danced in his mind for a moment, causing his groin to grow heavy and taut. Later, Alexander promised himself. Later he would take his gypsy lady into his arms and touch her and kiss her until she cried out her response, until she pleaded with him for fulfillment, until she told him again of her love.Alexander discovered that now he had heard the words, he was suddenly very hungry to hear them again.

He was not overly concerned about her threat to wrap her heart in cotton wool and stow it away on the shelf. He was getting to know her and if there was one thing of which he was increasingly certain, it was that Lizzie could not long ignore the tug of the tender, honest emotions that flowed so vibrantly in her veins.

Unlike Marissa, who was a victim of her own wild passions, Lizzie was a victim of her own heart. But she was a woman and she lacked the strength necessary to protect herself from those who would abuse her nature. She needed him to take care of her. The trick now was to make her understand that she not only needed him, she could trust him with her love.

That thought brought the image of the black metal ring to mind. Alexander scowled in the darkness of the carriage. He did not like the idea that Lizzie had taken to wearing the memento of her sister. Not only was it unattractive, as he had told her, but it was obvious she was using it to remind herself that it was never wise to give one's heart to a man who did not love in return.

Dauris emerged from the card room as Alexander walked into his club and took a seat near a bottle of port. There was a glitter of cold amusement in Dauris's eyes when he spotted his friend. One look at his face and Alexander knew word of what had happened at Leighton Field had leaked out.

"There you are, Rothsay." Dauris clapped him on the shoulder and dropped into the nearest chair. "I was worried about you, my friend. Breaking up duels is a dangerous business. Could have gotten yourself shot. Women and pistols don't mix well, you know."

Alexander fixed him with a quelling look that had predictably little effect. "How did you hear such nonsense?"

"Ah, so it is true," Dauris observed with satisfaction. "I thought it might be. Your lady is just spirited enough to do it and God knows Featherstone is eccentric enough to meet her."

Alexander gave him a steady look. "I asked how you heard of it?"

Dauris poured himself a class of port. "By merest chance, I assure you. Do not worry. It is not common knowledge and will not become so."

"Featherstone?" Alexander vowed he would make good on his promise to ruin her if she had, indeed talked.

"No. You may rest assured she is saying nothing. I got it secondhand from my valet who happened to attend a boxing match this afternoon with the man who handles Feather-stone's horses. He told my man he'd had to get Featherstone's rig out before dawn this morning."