Chapter 12 The Perfect Husband

Chapter 12
The Perfect Husband

The next few days of Lizzie's life should have been the most blissful . Her honeymoon was finally turning out to be the dream she had once imagined . Alexander was kind , thoughtful and unfailingly gentle. He treated her as if she was some rare piece of crystal . She could see herself falling in love with him. But if she found herself liking him too much she would have her heart broken .Reminding herself that this was just a marriage of convenience and she was living in a world of illusion .

The silent, subtle ,sensual threat which had plagued her for so many days was also finally removed . It was not that she no longer saw desire in his eyes . It was still there, but the fired were carefully blanked now , and she no longer feared they would wage out of control. At last she had the breathing space she had tried to negotiate before the marriage .

But instead of being able to relax and enjoy the time she was miserable .For two days she fought the misery and the guilt trying to assure herself that she had done the right thing , the only thing she could do under the circumstances .

A wife had so little power that she was obliged to use what little means came in her hand .

But her own sense of honor did not let her soothe the anxiety.

Lizzie woke up on the third day after the fictitious wedding night knowing she could not continue with this charade even a day longer , let alone for another three months

She had never felt so awful in her entire life . Alexander's self loathing was mainly responsible for her own guilt. It was obvious that he was regretting all his actions and the fact that he had done nothing at all was making Lizzie feel even more guilty than she did .

Her maid entered , pulling aside the curtains ."My what a lovely day ma'am . Will you be going for a walk after breakfast .?"

"Yes Mary , and could you send someone and ask if the Marquis would care to join me . "

"Oh I don't think , there is any doubt his lordship will be joining you my lady ."Mary said with a cheeky grin . " His lordship would accept an invitation to follow you all the way to America , if you asked him. The staff is enjoying the sight you know "

"Enjoying what sight?"

"Watching him fall all over himself trying to please you .Never seen him like that ma'am"

"Mary!"

It occurred to her that she would, in fact, be much happier as a servant at the estate rather than one of the family. An upper servant, of course. The housekeeper or at least one of the senior maids. Then she could spend the evenings discussing the strange goings-on between Alexander and her and relax and be herself.