[13] surprise surprise

"Son!" I heard my mom's exclaiming a few meters away. My band and I have just come off stage, rubbing shoulder, patting backs and hugging in celebration from a kick-ass show we just performed.

I wiped the beads of sweat that formed on my forehead with the back of my hand and removed the thick and colourful lei of orchids wrapped around my neck, setting it quickly on a backstage leather couch along the hallway.

I felt a clad beefy wrap around my shoulder as I looked up, only to realize my older brother was beaming down at me. I return his grin. "A day named after you eh, brother?"

"I'm going to have to thank Abercrombie for that later," I said with an exaggerated sigh, shaking my head in disbelief at the previous events that took place. April 21st - Bruno Mars Day.

The sound of clicking of heels and plenty feet shuffling after it got nearer as I saw my mom practically shoved anyone in the way to sprint towards us. He and I shared a laugh, simultaneously opening our arms to greet her. "Bruno, Eric, that was incredible!" she exclaimed with a jump, trying so hard to wrap her small arms around the both of us.

"Mom, slow down with those heels on, alright?" I told her with a chuckle, wrapping one hand around her tightly with Eric engulfing all of us in a bone-crushing panda hug.

After those few moments entangled and losing my breath within her and Eric, we unlocked the embrace to greet the other members of the family.

I immediately spotted my dad, my eyes lighting up at the sight of him. "Pops!" I yell and run up to give him one of those man hugs, with him ruffling my hair which was styled up into the 1950's quiff. "I didn't know you were coming."

"Well here I am, son," he said with a chuckle, pausing to face my mom who has stopped by us. "Bernadette, it's been too long." He gave her a sweet smile and hugged her in a friendly manner. The thing I loved about my parents was that they remained civil and open to each other despite the failing of their marriage.

We, their children, were a way for them to bond again as responsible guardians. Our achievements made them unite and stand up as dependable parents. My mother may have married another man, because they were meant to live with each other for the rest of their lives, but in my heart, I knew my father still loved her dearly. Because of that love, he stayed close with mom's side of the family and filled in the responsibilities of a father perfectly. Although they lived in separate homes with different lives, they still shared a fair deal of us. And now was the perfect time for a family reunion because, boy, when I was trying to make it in the music industry, these two were my biggest fans and remained steadfast no matter how many times they received phone calls asking for help from me.

I left them in their own little bubble to catch up with what they missed out on each other's lives, along with Uncle Kip - which never brought awkwardness at all. Never in my whole life have I been thankful to have such an impeccably happy and peaceful family - no fights, no issues, no nothing. Maybe it was because of the environment that Hawaii surrounded us with but I thank God everyday for providing me such a clan that radiated positivity in every way possible which would influence me in my life.

I turn around and see my grandmother smiling up at me. She immediately reached up to cup my cheeks, eyeing my features for a bit and grinned even wider. "Bruno, you leave my speechless every single time."

"Mama," I whisper, bending down a little to pull her fragile frame into a light yet sincere hug. "I wouldn't be like this without you - my original goddess."

Soon I felt warm tears on my chest as I pulled away from our embrace, seeing drops of liquid running down her wrinkled cheeks. I let out a soft chuckle, thumbing her tears away. "I just can't believe my grandson, who used to play me his little piano sing 'You Are My Sunshine' is now up there onstage singing the songs he wrote."