[6] another first encounter

e l i s e

"Well, you can start working here next week," Sarah, the heart and soul of the orphanage tells me with a bright smile.

"Thank you so much." I return her pleasing mood with a smile.

We walked down the front door of the building with huge smiles on our faces unto Kelly's car. I'm really glad about this one. I got to meet some of the kids and somehow felt really emotional just thinking about how tough it is to lose their parents at a young age or never getting to meet the very people who gave them the beautiful gift of life.

"Thanks so much, Kels," I thanked her for the enth time, slipping in the passenger's seat.

"No problem, El," she offered a small smile and a shrug, "At least I know you have a job for now."

"You're the best," I said playfully shoving her arm.

"I know." She teasingly flips her hair before I roll my eyes at her, sniggering as she turns on the car's stereo.

"And with us in our studio today is the one and only Bruno Mars!" the DJ's cheery voice booms through the small space we were in.

"Aye!" another voice joins in.

I froze in my seat as I perceived his husky yet reedy voice, it was like music to my ears. Kelly looks at me nervously and bites her lip. "Do you want me to change the station instead, Lis?"

"No," I said almost too immediately, catching myself off guard. "Let's listen."

.

"And for the last question..." the DJ pauses for effect, I can almost see him smirk from here. "I think millions of women around the world would like to know if Bruno Mars is single."

There was silence for a few seconds as I waited in anticipation, but knowing what his answer would be anyway. "You really had to ask me that?" he inquires with a chuckle, obviously trying to avoid the subject. He took in a deep dramatic breath, before breaking another session of deafening quietness. "I'd hate to break millions of girls' hearts, but I'm in a relationship."

"Ooh...Juicy..." the radio guy teases, causing Bruno to chuckle. Oh how adorable that sounded. "Do you mind me asking how you two work out your relationship while you're in the middle of your tour?"

"It's tough, my man," he answered with a sigh, "But you both just gotta be strong and you gotta learn to trust one another with all your heart and it'll work. Anyhow, I gotta be honest right now, we're quite enjoying each other's company while she tags along with me."

"He's bringing her?" Kelly spits the last word with spite, her eyebrows furrowed in rage. "And he didn't have any plans on bringing you before? That bitch."

She extended towards the radio probably to cease all this madness when I swatted her hand away, personally disliking the words that came out of his mouth but internally enjoying the sound of his euphonious voice. "No, no. Just stay there."

"She's a photographer, so I offered to bring her around," Bruno replies. "Take pictures of the places we could go to."

"See, Kelly?" I glance over to her as she shoved the keys to ignition, revving up the car and the vehicle roared to life. She kept the scowl on her face, too stubborn to listen to what this man had to say for himself. "That's why."

Eventually the interview ended with him sarcastically thanking everyone for ending it on an awkward and cheesy note. I held in a laugh as we headed back to my apartment.