[5] break the ice

e l i s e

"Hey Lis, you love children, right?" Kelly struts into my house, tossing her bag on the couch in the process and sits on the island counter in my kitchen.

"There's a doorbell outside, you know," I said with a groan, rolling my eyes playfully and setting my mug of coffee in front of her.

"Doorbells are needless in best friends' homes," she answered with a grin, taking a sip of the drink I offered to her.

"Oh so if I walk in on you—"

"Okay, let's not talk about that," she waves her hand to dismiss the subject and crosses her long legs. "So what do you say about the kids thing, huh?"

"What are you implying?" I ask as I brew myself another cup of coffee and sit opposite her.

"There's an orphanage down a few blocks looking for some volunteers to help out with the kids," she explains and smiles. "Volunteers for free, but if you choose to stay permanently, starting salary is just little."

"I'm pretty good with kids."

"So is that a 'yes'?" she lifted her gaze on me with an expectant smile.

I nodded and smiled, "Uh huh."

"Nice," she subtly cheered and did a small dance on her seat, causing me to giggle at her goofy actions. "I'mma bring you there tomorrow, girl."

.

We step out of the car when Kelly abruptly stops dead in her tracks, her eyes focused on something in the distance. I join her gaze and narrow my eyes to slits in the same direction, not understanding what the big deal was with the sight of a guy whose back and unruly curly hair was facing us and. "That's him!"

"Him?" I ask with uncertainty. "Who is that him?"

She gave me a disapproving look but then snapped back to her senses when she realized about my amnesia condition. "Bruno Mars!"

And then it all came back to me, the man who used to write songs about me. "I dated that..." my voice faded as I tried to find the proper and negative words to say. "...midget?"

"Yes you did." She laughs. "And it doesn't really matter since you're a midget yourself."

"Hey!" I exclaimed in mock surprise, shoving her playfully in the shoulder. "At least I'm a female."

We observe him as he walks swiftly from his side of the car to the opposite, opening the door and voila! A beautiful girl steps out. She was petite herself as well. He slams the door shut and snakes his arm around her waist and tugging her closer to the side of his body.

She whispers something in his ear, making him laugh and kiss her forehead. My shoulders shudder at how cheesy the view was but nevertheless we watched disappear into a restaurant, obviously enjoying each other's company.

"He may be tiny, El. But he's a real gentleman." Kelly smirks, looking at me and punches my shoulder gently. "That's why you fell in love with him."

"Did he treat me the same way he's treating that girl?" I asked with a grimace, hoping we didn't expose as much public display of affection back then like the scene that unfolded in front of me.

"Yeah," she said with a smile, "That was probably the happiest moments of your life, when you were with him."

"Do you know how we, erm...broke up," I whispered the last part and hung my head down, but eventually lifted it up to her level just to see how she would react.

But she just smirked and shook her head. "I knew you were going to ask that." She leaned against the door of the car and finger-combed her hair before answering me, "Well I, for one, honestly do not know why, neither do your parents or anyone for that fact." She sighed and tapped the base of her shoes against the concrete pavement, the sound of traffic and the cool wind broke the silence of the day. "You never really explained why you seemed off and bothered, and I figured it was because of Bruno—his upcoming tour and habitual absences from the home you lived together in would usually be on top of your complaints when we converse."