[12, pt. 2] karaoke night

"Maggie," I breathed out, hesitating whether to stand from my seat and engulf her in my arms just as how I did back then or just stay seated wherever I am. I scanned over her face, forgetting the common knowledge that staring was rude, noticing how much her appearance has changed since the last time I've seen her.

I met Maggie in the show I sang in back at high school. It was a small venue where a magic show was being held and I served as the opening act, performing to hype up the crowd. I remember being mesmerized by the backup singers, full grown women with curves and all, singing and dancing in tight glittery dresses. And there was Maggie, the youngest of the bunch. She was twenty-one years old, the shy and quiet one in the group because of her age; she had dark long hair that cascaded down her back that stopped on her waist, small hazel eyes – due to her Korean descent – which lit up every time she stepped onstage, smooth tan skin, curves that always filled her clothes perfectly and a beautiful smile that seemed to light up the room when she steps in. That is, if I only saw her smile a lot.

I always snuck in their dressing rooms, looking for her and spotting her always on her own with her nose buried in a book or listening to music just before she would go out to perform. So I did what I had to and approached her. My sixteen year-old self listened to my instinct and gathered all the strength I could muster and asked her out.

Little did I know that it was the start of something special – with her finally opening up to me about everything going on with her life, leading to an intimate relationship, and eventually falling pretty hard for each other. She always had her friends teasing her for dating someone five years her junior and I had mine basically praising me for sweeping a woman off her feet. Everyone knew of our Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake-like relationship, but my parents were an exception. I, myself, was surprised that word never got to them but it's for the best; besides, they taught me a gentleman never kisses and tells.

The relationship, however, was brought to an end two years later when I broke the news to her that I was signed to Motown, which was enough for her to understand that I had to leave Hawaii.

"Mags, look at me," I whispered against her lips, caressing the smooth skin of her cheek and lifting her chin so I could look into those brown eyes that have been avoiding mine for the past days. She finally locked her eyes on me, my heart dropping at the sight of immense grief swimming around her orbs. I watched her intently, feeling myself drown in the warm colour of her lobes. Never have I imagined seeing so many emotions just by watching someone's eyes for a few moments. It was utterly silent in her apartment, the traffic from the streets and the little chatter of the people from below breaking it, making the intense tension around us heavier by the second as we stood surveying each other's features.

I finally saw tears well in her eyes, clear crystals holding so much sadness and struggling to hold on to me. It was then when she broke our gaze and she launched herself at me, her head buried on the crook of my neck and her arms tightly around my shoulders. I instinctively wrapped my arms around her small waist, closing my eyes and realizing it won't be soon before long that I wouldn't experience these things with her anymore. She had become my wing, my biggest believer, my best friend – the love of my life.

"Bruno," she murmured against my neck in between sobs, her whole system shaking in my arms like a scared little child. "I'm gonna miss you infinitely."

"Margaret," I answered in the same hushed tone, kissing the top of her head and getting lost in her ever familiar coconut scent. "You know I'm doing this for you right?"

I felt a small nudge of movement on my shoulder as she nodded, still crying uncontrollably as tears rolled out of her eyes like a river flowing unendingly. She broke free from my grasps as I noticed anger was now in her hazel stare, "Bruno, just say it."