Chapter 2: Horace Slughorn

It was days that my brother hasn't showed up back at home and I was hoping he was okay. I mean, I didn't necessarily get a bad feeling, but it wasn't a good one either. It was around three o clock in the morning when he arrived in the kitchen where I had fallen asleep at the table from impatiently waiting too long. He woke me up and brought me back to bed as he carried me to my room.

"Where've you been? It's been days and you didn't write." I said sleepily as I got into my covers. He sighed and sat on the bed, staring at he wall in hesitation, probably thinking of what to say.

"I was on a murder case. The woman ran and nearly blasted me to bits. Luckily, I jinxed her in time where she's lying in Azkaban as we speak." Canaan said. "But everything is alright now. I'm home and I get to see my baby sister's face. I've missed you while I was gone."

"I missed you too, Canaan," I said giving a warm smile. He said goodnight before getting up from my bed to go to his room for the night.

Several more weeks passed until it was time to be ready for the train ride back to Hogwarts for school. I had seen less of Draco, but a few days ago he finally conjured a corporeal Patronus, which I was very proud of. It turned out to be a ferret, much to my surprise and humor since he was transfigured into one by the imposter of Professor Moody. I had a good laugh about it for a bit before Draco told me to stop.

We celebrated my birthday in August of the 14th when Draco and I went around of my house to explore all the rooms I had yet to discover. Few of the rooms were left empty but some had rooms of dining, antique things, dusty rooms that have never been opened, a single library full of books and scrolls and ancient artifacts, and my dad's work room. Afterwards, we went outside to play exploding snap and eat watermelon and ice cream in the perfect summer heat. It was fun celebrating my birthday with him as it was relaxing and adventurous. It distracted me from things that I didn't want to think about and I was grateful for that. We ended the night by hanging out in my bedroom outside on the open patio stargazing. We were sitting on chairs as we leaned on the railing with our elbows as we stared.

"It's so beautiful at night," I said with a relaxing sigh. "I wish I was a star. It's so peaceful and just to think of being so bright in the twilight."

"Nah, you're an eagle. Not a silly little star. Sure, they're great. But you're an eagle."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't know? Just remain an eagle. No need for you to change." I laughed at his comment.

"You never make sense," I said chuckling as we continued to gaze at the sky. I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't turn to look at him back.

"Aquila, you know I still like you right?" asked Draco. I closed my eyes, not wanting to hear it. Why did he have to bring this up? Why now?

"We're friends, Draco. Nothing more. It's how it should be." I said, still not looking at him.

"Well maybe I want to be more than friends?" he asked, getting a bit louder.

"Please, Draco," I begged, "don't bring this up now."

"You've known I've liked you. Why can't you just like me?" he asked.

"Because, it would never work out between us. Just stop it. Get over it. We're not meant to be. I don't like you that way. I won't." I said, still not facing him.

"You know what?" he rose to his feet abruptly, knocking the chair back as it fell to the floor. "I'm out of here. Forget it. Forget you. I'm done." I snapped and turned to face him. Tears welled up in my eyes and when we made contact he was taken back.