Chapter 7

I was in front of the ancient tomb of King Luzzi, one of the first Kings of Ashur.

Most of the stories written on the wall about him were mostly about his wit, and luck. How the gods loved him so much, they granted him with luck above other mortals.

He's also the first King who builts Hassa, that was once only a land of desert. He decided to created a place where he would be able to gives the gods temples and shrines, and also a place where him and his descendants would be able to lie in peace after their deaths.

All the tombs was luxurious, obviously. Decorated with golds and jewelry and precious gems, these tombs showed off the riches and status of their owners.

"Someday, that place would be where I was buried" Theondre said from my side, pointing to a half-done building, that had been constructed since two years ago, and somehow it's still not done yet.

But Theondre wanted not just a simple grave, but a gigantic, luxurious one, like a small palace. He hoped his grave would be something to remembered for the people in the future, to see the glory of Ashur under his reign.

"I don't feel good knowing you'll be there someday" I said uncomfortably. Theondre smiled, "don't worry" he assured, "I won't be dying soon... I still have a long way to go" he said.

"Would Queen Tuya be buried there as well?" I asked. I know there were kings who'd rather to lie in peace with their concubines or lesser queens, but most of the kings were buried with their main wife.

Somehow, I didn't like the fact that Theondre might be buried with her. I didn't hate Queen Tuya, but a part of me wished that they would be buried separately.

"No" Theondre said, after a moment of silence, he pulled me closer, "I only wants to be buried with my love. I didn't love Tuya" he answered.

I was ashamed of myself for being jealous... He wasn't even mine, he had a wife, in gods's names!

"How about you?" He asked, "how would you wished to be buried?"

I frowned, the answer is obvious. "I wanted to be burned, and my ashes scattered on the battlefield I died" I answered. For a warrior, it was the greatest honor to be able to die in a war.

Theondre hummed, "I wished you were with me, though. Don't die before I do, Nein" he said, leaning even closer to me, "I don't think I would be able to stay sane without you"

"Me neither" I agreed. I didn't plan to live if he dies, anyway. Tragic, indeed, but when your purpose of living was gone, than you'll have nothing left to lose.

"Let's race to Taranai's temple. The one who win can ask for anything from the loser" he challenged. I laughed, "are you sure, my lord? You know my horse is the fastest" I said.

Theondre raised his eyebrow, "I didn't said anything about horses. We're running there" he said. I paled right away. The distance was not that great with a horse, but by running...

"And before you can say anything, our horses are save with the slaves" he said, pointing to the slaves ready to tend to our horse.

I sighed, "okay" I said. I'm pretty sure I'll lost, though. Theondre's endurance and speed were just too far beyond human, I don't think this whole race was necessary. He would get anything he wanted from me.

But still, I raced.

And just like I've expected, I lose.

He was waiting for me, in front of the gigantic temple of the goddess Taranai. All of the generals were already there, ready to perform their sacrifices.