Chapter 4.

"Alright, today just do whatever you want for today."

That made for one very happy Sabine, who happily waved to Ezra when he stepped into the art class.

Ezra was slightly confused, but shrugged and sat down in the seat next to her. "So, what are we doing?"

Her eyes practically sparkled as she answered, "Anything we want."

"Is that safe?" he quipped. She laughed and nodded, yet said, "Yes for others, no for me. I'm notorious in this class."

Ezra smiled, "What, did you get bad grades?"

"Nah. In fact, I always beat everyone."

"But class isn't a competition?"

She laughed, "It is for me."

"I never did ask, what grade are you in?"

"Tenth like you, but I'm older then most of the class. I'm sixteen."

"Started school late?" Ezra asked.

"Nah, I'm just older."

"Oh hey, what elective are you taking, Sabine?"

He got absolute silence, she was getting way into the drawing she was making.

"Class, for extra credit, you can take your assignment home and bring it back to class tomorrow, if you need to," the teacher announced a while later.

Sabine grinned and asked to borrow some art supplies, which confused Ezra.

"If you love art so much, then why don't you have any supplies at your house?"

"My parents think that art isn't that useful. They think that about... Most things that I was interested in. Usually, I can only do things that could get me a career someday."

"But, art can be a career. Don't they know that?"

She nodded. "Ohh, they do. They just don't care. Now, I gotta head to my next class, I'll see you tomorrow?"

Ezra shook his head. "I have work."

Sabine raised an eyebrow. "You can't blow off school, you'll get suspended."

"Actually, the school is letting me. You see, we just don't make enough money, my dad and my mom. But with me," he smiled a bit, "We do. Problem solved."

"Problem so not solved. How would you catch up on homework?"

He shrugged. "Guess I just won't."

She frowned and scribbled something down and handed it to him. "Phone number. Call me when you need study help. Don't make me regret this, Bridger."

He laughed, "What do you expect me to do, call you at midnight just to ask to go to McDonald's?"

Sabine frowned and didn't answer.

"I won't call you at midnight for McDonald's. Ya know, you're actually pretty nice."

"What do you mean, actually?"

"When I saw you walk in during History, I thought you would bite everyone's heads off or something."

She laughed at that. "That's just how I look sometimes! And besides, you talked to me. No reason to do anything..."

He gulped, already knowing that wasn't the end of it.

"...Yet."