Chapter 1

Orginally Publised September 2012

Video: Trailer A Mermaid Tale book

Read on now!

Chapter 1

"Johansson, get your ass over here!" Rick shouted from the other end of the so called restaurant kitchen.

I took my black chained combat boots off the counter, and with an unnecessary groan walked slowly towards my boss. The man looked like a wreck. He hadn't shaven in a week, his shirt was stained, his tie wasn't tied up properly and he smelled really, really bad. No wait; that might just be the restaurant, my mistake. Maybe the odour was one of the main reasons why that the restaurant was in danger of closing. I say one; because of course there are plenty more, like the food, the filth, the bad service, and of course the rats in the toilets. Who could forget that?

"What?" I asked in an exasperated tone. Rick might have yelled at me already five times today, I wasn't really interested in going for six.

I was the only waitress at Shellie's and Fish, not that we needed more than one. Just like we didn't need more than one cook to stick frozen fish in the microwave and then put cheese on top. Yes, it is as gross as it sounds.

"A man is waiting to take his order and—" Rick begun saying.

"No way, seriously? We actually have a costumer." I paused and looked at Rick. "Want me to go scare him off?" I asked dead serious, as I took out my phone to see how much time was left before I had leave work.

"Look Goth Girl." He said to me in the strictest tone. "I don't know how it works in your dark vampire city that you call your head, but in this world you're a waitress and you work under my orders. That man on the other side of those flippy-floppy doors is a food inspector and if you—"

"Do you even breathe when you talk?" I spontaneously asked.

"JUST GO TAKE HIS ORDER!" Rick shouted. That made number six; maybe I'll reach ten by the end of the day.

"Pff, whatever" I carelessly responded, putting my phone in my pocket and grabbing my notepad.

It was in a way a relief to get out of the thing that Rick calls a kitchen, because it smelled really bad. Well the whole restaurant did, but the diner sections weren't as awful.

It was easy to find the man that my boss was talking about; he was the only person in the restaurant. "So, have you decided what you wanted?" I asked casually as I approached the inspector's table.

He eyed me like most people did. It was like a cold slap to reality when certain people realized that Goths did in fact exist on the same planet as normal people; because apparently we weren't considered normal. Sure, I had a lot of piercings on my eyebrows, nose, mouth, tongue and ears. I'm sure that my hair looked weird at the moment because it was hot and I was sweating, plus my black hair dye was wearing off showing my naturally blond roots. I was also sure that the humidity in the restaurant was making my dark makeup run down under my blue eyes. My sleeves were rolled off to show off my tattoos, even though I was sure that no one was interested in seeing them. When kids saw me walking in the streets, they usually got out of my way running. All I really need is a baseball bat and they'd be having nightmares for months.

"Do you have any recommendations miss..."He asked waiting for my name, because I refused to wear my name tag. I mean, the baby pink shell hat and the pink apron were humiliating enough on me. It's not the best looking thing to wear when the rest of your clothing is basically thigh black clothes, chains and spikes.