Chapter sixteen

Guys, I'm back! Enjoy the short chapter I wrote and let me know what you think. The next one is hopefully coming very soon! Enjoy, once again.

Sophia

Nicole's POV

Tom Bodett once said, “The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson”. It was the time of year when I was about to do the non-school way of learning. Summer is represented as a period of sins, when everyone's partying, going wild and crazy and enjoying the youth. Being the outsider Nicole I've never had a chance to experience anything of that. Now, I have a friend on my side who is different - we have different view on the world, different way of thinking and sometimes that becomes a competition. Which way is better and why? Alex has the same interests as I do - we're like mental clones.

"Don't be a party pooper and come to the party with me", Zach complained as he was setting the table.

It was dinner time and Zach's mom asked me to join them. I had no option left, so I accepted it. Summer nights in Belgrade were something beautiful, especially with the majestic view.

We were sitting in the backyard of Henderson family. The atmosphere was pleasant, filled with small talks. I was really enjoying my time there, but it made me wonder what I've done wrong not to have a family like that.

My brows weren't in their normal position as thinking about my family always ruined the mood. The little talks had stopped and I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"Can I talk to you?", Zach's voice didn't have the same vibrant sound as it did a few minutes ago. Nodding my head, I excused myself with a half smile initiated to Zach's mom.

"Are you okay?", I didn't have the time to ask what was wrong.

"Honestly or not?"

"Honestly", with that being said, I lowered my face to look at my shoes.

No one is good at expressing themselves. Sometimes I don't even know why I'm sad and I'm asked to explain it. Is that even possible?

"I wish I had a family like yours. I want to have these kind of dinners where I can just be myself, where there' s no fights and yelling. No walking away", opening up to Zach was easier than to anyone else. It just allured me. A whole bag of emotions was released and I was on the breaking point. His arms found their way around my body as they pulled me closer. Consoling was his best move. He did it so good. The sound of his slow heartbeat, the warmth of his body and the strength of his arms around me felt like home. All of it made me relax one hundred percent.

"We're going to that party tonight. I'm not letting you to be sad the day before your eighteen birthday", I hate when he does that. The day I was born obviously had no meaning for my parents - people who gave me life, so why would I give it a meaning? But, I appreciate the effort he's putting into me. He was a great friend. Lucky me.

I opened my mouth in sign to protest, but he didn't let me, "I don't want to hear it. We're going shopping in ten".