Chapter Fourteen

Karen was suddenly starting to regret ever inviting her brother

Karen was suddenly starting to regret ever inviting her brother. He had arrived about an hour ago and he was already trying to pull a fast one over on Mr. Foster..literally. She groaned when Kevin clasped his hands together and rocked back and forth on his heels.

"So what I hear you saying is that if I ever happen to drop by this side of town you'll give me all of the hookups?" Kevin inclined as he stood across from Mr. Foster. Mr. Foster seemed unaware of Kevin's true attention as he smiled at the other man.

"Any family of Karen's is family to me." He said with a shrug. "If you want, I can even get you some tickets to the next MBA game, front row."

Kevin nodded appreciatively, patting Mr. Foster on his back before Mr. Foster excused himself.

Kevin walked over to Karen. He leaned down so that he was level with her ear. "Can't believe you found yourself a sugar daddy. Not counting the fact that he isn't that old and he's blind, i'd say you did pretty well for yourself."

Karen pinched his arm. "Stop trying to swindle my employer, he was nice enough to let you stay here for a few days. The least you can do is act like he's not just some walking bank account."

He rubbed his aching arm. "Well, he offered, plus," he said slyly, "Your employer gave off the indication that you two were a thing. Are you sleeping with him?"

"No, and we are not together." She lied, not truly believing herself, "and if I were dating him, I would at least know his first name."

Kevin plopped down onto the black leather couch, propping his feet up on the table. "I don't know...sounds kind of kinky if you ask me." He said pulling out his phone.

"What?"

Kevin suppressed a smile at his sister's horrified face. He leaned back into the couch as he gave a small shrug. "Oh nothing, just mentioning the fact that you still call him Mr. Foster. Must make foreplay interesting, right?" He teased, watching as her dark skin seemed to turn a shade darker.

     "Sometimes I think you forget that you're still seventeen years old." She glared at him, taking a seat on the opposite side of the couch. Kevin laughed as he picked up the remote and turned on the tv.

"Compared to the other guys my age, I think I still have a lot to learn."

Her lips quirked up slightly. "You're still a pig."

He stuck his tongue out. "And you're still the sister to a pig." He mocked childishly, causing her to laugh.

As her laughter died down, she turned to her brother. "Believe it or not, I've actually missed you."

"Me too." He agreed quietly. "Ever since you left home things have just been..hard."

Karen felt her chest tighten. "How's Eve?" She asked, referring to her younger sister. She would be turning seven this year. She heard Kevin's long drawn out sigh before he spoke.

"She's..okay. She's been having seizures a lot recently. The doctors still aren't exactly sure what's been causing them, but they're hoping they'll just sort of fizz out and stop all together as she gets older." He shook his head. "You would think that after two years they would have found the cause, but it's like we're still back a square one, with no way to stop them."

Karen swallowed hardly. "What about mom?" She asked, even though she already knew the answer. Kevin didn't look up. He continued to scroll through the channels.

"She's still an alcoholic, if that's what you're asking." He said sarcastically. "Last week I caught her passed out on the couch while Eve was in the kitchen trying to work the oven."

She gasped. "She's not-"

He immeditalty shook his head. "No, I would never leave Eve alone with mom. I asked my friend Darell if she could stay with his family just until I got back since his sister and Eve are practically joined at the hip. His mom said it was okay, so she's being taken care of."

Karen relaxed. "Good."

They sat in silence for awhile, just watching as the television shined brightly, not really paying attention to what was happening, much less what was on. They were both too caught up in their own thoughts that they had hardly noticed Mr. Foster taking a seat between them.

"Sorry I took so long, Juliana wouldn't get off the phone." He sighed heavily. "Why are you two so quiet?"

Karen turned to him. "We were just-"

"Talking about you." Kevin cut in. Karen sent her brother a death glare as he grinned widely. Mr. Foster's eyes widened in surprise.

"Really, is something wrong?" He asked worriedly.

Karen quickly held her hands up. "No, we were just talking about how nice it was of you to let Kevin here, stay at your home for awhile." She nodded to her brother, "Weren't we Kevin?" She stressed. Kevin ignored her and smirked.

"Yeah, I really appreciate it. It's not everyday I get to meet my sister's boyfriend, you know." He said cheekily.

Mr. Foster turned to Karen, a grin taking over  his handsome face. "Boyfriend, huh?" He teased. She crossed her arms over her chest as she darted her eyes back to the tv screen.

     "After tonight you'll be lucky if you can even call me, Karen."