Chapter Ten

Not edited
10

Today was supposed to have been great, considering the fun day that she had had yesterday with Mr

Today was supposed to have been great, considering the fun day that she had had yesterday with Mr. Foster. However, as Karen stood in the kitchen, angrily cutting the slab of chocolate before her, it told another story.

She was angry, confused, but among all of those, she was upset. She had gotten a call earlier that morning from her younger brother. He had informed her that their mother had already used up all the money that she had sent them about two months ago, just before she finished college.

She couldn't understand why that woman was so bent on wasting her hard earned money as fast as she could. Karen gave her money so that she would use it for more important things, like paying for her brother's school's expenses, but unfortunately she was wrong.

She laid the knife against the counter, sighing. What was she going to do? She couldn't ask Mr. Foster for a raise, considering that he already paid her well, but it just wasn't enough to support herself and three other people. She wanted to cry. Why couldn't her mother just grow up for once and realize that she had a family to take care of. She had already failed in raising her, so why didn't she at least try to do better for her two younger kids?

She shook her head and placed her hands against the cool counter. She knew what she had to do, even though she really didn't want to. She loved her brother a lot and didn't want him having to stress himself out trying to find a way to afford things that he needed for school.

As she pushed herself up from the counter, a knock sounded against the kitchen wall. Mr. Foster stepped slowly into the kitchen, his cane reaching out before him as he stopped by the table. "Mind if I join you?" He questioned, even though she knew fully well that he wasn't asking.

She gave a half hearted yes and went back to baking. He took a seat in one of the chairs and stared in her direction.

"So what are you making?"

She finished chopping up the chocolate and placed it on a small tray. "Cupcakes." She said, pulling out the other ingredients.

Silence filled the room before Mr. Foster spoke up.

"Oh. Can I help?"

"What?" Karen blinked.

"I said can I help."

She watched him for a few seconds, trying to make sure he wasn't just joking around. "Are you sure nothing's wrong with you? Do you have a fever? Maybe I need to call Juliana." She said seriously as she picked up her phone.