Chapter Two

2 -Knock Knock

          Shortly after showing Karen her room, Juliana left. She had claimed there was something important that had to be done in town and that Karen already had everything she needed to know in the packet. Karen had been lying in the ridiculously large bed for over an hour, staring at the ceiling- regardless to say, she was becoming extremely bored.

She groaned loudly before pushing herself up and heading over to the peach colored dresser that sat by the door. She opened up the packet and flipped over to the second page that was labeled 'Week One' she found the day's date and looked for the food that was listed." She scanned the page slowly before stopping on the dinner schedule. Dinner started at seven. She quickly glanced at her watch, relief flooding her body. Thank goodness, it was only six o'clock, she still had time to make his dinner.

She picked up the packet and headed out of her room. She remembered the long staircase that lead to the kitchen and followed it until she was standing in the beautiful illuminated kitchen surrounded by endless marble. It was beautiful and looked as if no one had touched it since the day it was built.

She placed the packet down on the smooth marble counter and inspected the list once more to make sure that she was getting the right things. She needed carrots, onions, bread, and some beef. She wondered around the kitchen until she found everything and placed it down on the counter.

She took the black elastic around her wrist off and used it to tie back her thick black curls. When she was situated she began adding the ingredients into a large bowl and got to work.

After the meatloaf was done, she took it out of the oven and cut it into slices, putting two slices on the China plate in front of her. She grabbed a bottle of water from the refrigerator, and placed a few carrots on the side of the plate before heading back up the spiraling staircase.

Instead of heading in the direction of her room, she made a right that lead in the direction of another staircase - not as long as the one leading to the kitchen, but still far.

With each step her heart pounded within her chest. She was nervous. What if he was a horrid old man locked away in his room, withering away piece by piece. She shuddered at the thought.

As she approached the large mahogany door, she stilled. She could here rummaging coming from the other side of the door.

She lifted her small fist and knocked. No answer. She tried again. Still nothing.

This time she knocked, but louder. At the sound of her third knock a sharp voice boomed from the other side of the door.

      "What do you want now, Juliana!" He spat.

Karen felt chills go through her body at the sound of his voice. It was so intimidating that for a moment she forgot she could speak.

"Well?" The voice said this time, in a condescending tone.

Karen swallowed hardly, willing her words to form. "I-I'm not Juliana, I'm your new caretaker." She got out shakily.

She could hear more rummaging coming from the other side of the door. "Well, what do you want?" He asked impatiently.

She squared her shoulders. "I brought you food."

More rummaging before something fell. "Leave it."

Her mouth twisted. "What?" She asked in confusion.

The noise stopped. "I said to leave it. I'll get it when I'm hungry." He replied frustratedly.

Karen didn't want to argue with this man who seemed to have anger problems. She sat the food down by his door and headed back to her room.

When the clock on her wall hit nine, she decided she might as well go get the empty plate that was awaiting her upstairs.

As she came closer to the door a frown settled upon her face. She slowly eased down to pick up the tray, expecting for it to be empty, when she was dually surprised at what she saw.

That jerk didn't even touch it, she whispered quietly.

She glared once at the large door before angrily stomping all the way back to the kitchen to throw away a perfectly good meal.

- - -