Chapter Eleven

So I can't sleep. It's like every time I close my eyes I feel as if I'm going to throw up. Happens a lot. So since I'm up at two in the morning I thought I might as well update. And thank you for all of the comments, I love reading them. It also helps take my mind off of being sick. So thanks a ton!

Not Edited
11

Karen was bubbling with anticipation

Karen was bubbling with anticipation. Earlier that morning after she and Mr. Foster had finished making cupcakes, he had asked if she wanted to maybe go somewhere and eat dinner.

She was seated in the back of the black limo, her bright red dress bringing out the darkness of her skin. She had went out earlier that afternoon to find the perfect dress since she hadn't had anything fancy enough to wear to the restaurant that he had suggested. It had cost a lot, but she was planning to start saving her money as soon as the night ended.

She studied the man across from her. Gone were the black sunglasses, making it easier to notice the scars that marked his face. At first she had found them scary, but now, now she felt like she couldn't possibly see him without them.

She moved her eyes over his body, taking in the way the black tuxedo fit his body. He was so handsome that she couldn't help but look. Mr. Foster ran a hand over his dark hair. "You're not going to check me out all night, are you?"

"What? No!" She quickly averted her eyes, "I wasn't even looking in your direction."

Instead of replying, he pulled at the tie around his neck. He had done it three times in the past twenty minutes of them being in the limo. Karen shook her head and unblocked her seat belt. She knelt down in front of him so that she could see the tie more clearly.

"What do you think you're doing?" Mr. Foster's husky voice interrupted her.

She placed her dainty fingers around the collar of his shirt, loosening the tie. "Fixing your dang tie." She said, "There. All done." She shot him a triumphant grin.

His blue eyes gazed down at her hardly, almost as if they could see her. Her heart began to beat rapidly inside of her chest as Mr. Foster's hand reached out to touch her face. He gently ran a thumb across her cheek, the familiar crease appearing upon his forehead. "I really wish I knew what you looked like." He said quietly, almost as if it hurt. Before she could react, he was pulling his hand back.

"Thanks."

She scooted back into her seat. "No problem." She wrung her hands together as silence filled the back of the limo once again. She noticed the way Mr. Foster looked whenever he was thinking about something. And from the way his forehead was creasing, he must've been thinking about that something really hard.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She offered.

He looked up and shook his head. "You'll think I'm crazy."

She shrugged. "I already think you're crazy, so you might as well tell me what's on your mind."

He sat silently for a few seconds before unfolding his arms. "I know I'm not the most enjoyable person to be around-"

She snorted and he gave her a pointed look before going on.

"As I was saying, I know I'm not the most enjoyable person to be around and you and I aren't really friends or anything, plus we don't really know anything about each other," he scratched his head, "Heck, where was I going with this again?" He looked up before sighing. "I guess, what I want to say is." He tried to find the right words.

"Just spit it out." She said, dying of anticipation.

"I would like to get to know you better, Karen." He breathed and she laughed.

"I thought that's what we were doing? You and I hanging out. Trying to become friends, I think. Honestly, I don't even know what to call us. Half of the time you're laid back and fun and then the other half, I'm looking over my shoulder to make sure you don't strangle me to death."

He shook his head in frustration. "I'm not looking for just a friendship with you. I also want to get to know you more personally."

Karen felt the tips of her ears warm. "Oh."

"Oh?" He turned his mouth up in confusion. "Oh as in oh, or oh as in you don't feel the same way, oh?"

Karen quickly shook her head. "No! I want to get to know you more personally as well." She said almost too loudly embarrassing herself. She sat quietly, waiting for him to speak up.

After a few moments, they had arrived at the restaurant and Harold walked around to open the door. Before she could step out, Mr. Foster's warm hand caught hers and she glanced back.

He had an unsure look on his face as he stared up at her. "Would it be too presumptuous of me to consider this as a date?" He asked, his voice revealing a certain vulnerability that she hadn't seen in him since the day she started the job.

She swallowed hardly, trying her best to keep her voice even as she spoke her next words.

"I suppose I would be disappointed if you didn't."