Chapter Twenty-Two---So You Think You Can Dance? Part 7

Yes, I have finally updated. You should never have doubted me. Shun the non-believers!! Anyway, this should be the last part of this arc and then we shall continue on with the original series. I would love your feedback on the "So You Think You Can Dance Arc." Now, understand that I said feedback; not bashing, or insulting. There is a big difference. Now, if there was something about it that you didn't like, I expect my readers to be mature enough to put it in a polite way. Please and Thank you. Also, I JUST changed it, but I changed Miku saying she loved Mori to saying she liked him. In my moment of weakness, I had forgotten that I hate when couples blurt out "I love you's" as soon as they get together. It's unrealistic and if it does happen in real life that way, it's shallow and inferior to real love. So there. Plus, it didn't fit who Miku was. She would never just outright tell someone she likes she loved them. She is old-fashioned like that. On with the show!
____________________________________

        "That was just beautiful, you two!" Madame Hana exclaimed,"You two were in perfect sync! It's like I'm looking at two different dancers!"

I smiled the best I could through labored breaths and leaned against Mori's willing body. He was used to strenuous work-outs, so this dance wasn't too much of a deal for him. He was breathing a little harder than normal, but that was all. I felt so out of shape next him with my loud, desperate gasps for breath and my need to lean against him and be cradled slightly. 

        "Well, I realized I could trust Mori with my life," I told her,"Dancing shouldn't be so hard."

        "Ah," Mori agreed.

Madame Hana smiled gently at us as she observed the differences in our body language. Before, we had been careful, tentative, as though we were scared to hurt the other. Today, we were confident in each other's abilities, sure we wouldn't hurt the other, and there was a certain softness in the way Mori interacted with me. She was right. We were like two different people.

        "I'm so happy that you two have overcome the obstacle, but there is a new problem now," Madame Hana told us with a level of regret in her tone.

        I felt my face twist in disbelief,"What now? We did the dance perfectly. We followed every step, every jump, and every leap. We nailed everything."

        Madame sighed softly,"That's the problem, my dear. Not that you did it perfectly, but that you two only thought of the steps. You have to feel the dance, to feel the emotion behind the choreography in order to successfully complete a dance. Dear, you understand don't you? It's the same when you sing. You can sing a song perfectly, but it's not powerful until you sing it with the empathy of the singer in mind, and in voice. The same with dances, my dears."

        I groaned because I knew she was right,"I agree, but we can just do the dance with the emotion in it. That's not a problem."

        "At the beginning of this lesson, you two were a blank slate that could absorb the emotion of the dance and you two could have done the dance successfully, but you two are too different now. You both exude a different emotion when you dance together. Even if you did try, the gentleness of your relationship would still shine through and make it seem as though every move was strained and fake," Hana explained,"It just can't be done. There is only one solution."

        "Oh no," I said in realization,"Please don't say that-"

        "You must learn a new dance," she dropped the bomb...And I blew up.

        "The performance is tomorrow night!" I strained to keep my volume under control,"We don't have time to do a new dance. Why can't we just do the dance we know. It'll still look decent."

        The dance teacher sighed,"The judges will be skilled and experienced dancers. They judge at their level and if you do the dance they will fail you, and you will fail this class. I'm sorry, but it's this or you fail."

I turned and hid my face in Mori's chest. His shirt muffled my frustrated scream and his hand patted my head. I didn't want to learn a new dance, but I sure as Hell didn't want to fail. As a musician, I can understand the whole emotion thing. My best works are driven with emotion and if they were sung without it, I can only imagine how hollow it would sound. I can also understand that we had a different air about us since we got together and that showed in everything we did together. I looked up and shot Mori an inquisitive look only to get a nod and a determined one back....A decision was made.

        I turned to Madame," Ok. We'll learn a new dance. Please choose one that fits perfectly. I trust your judgement."

        Madame Hana grinned softly,"I know just the one."
___________________________________

                                (( Next day at Host Club ))

        "So, you had to learn a new dance?" One of my female customers asked with wide, adoring eyes,"You're so amazing!"

        I smile gently at her,"You're so nice, but it's not just me. It's my partner as well. Mori is a fantastic dancer."

        At this announcement, all the customers within earshot squealed in delight,"So talented!!"

        A male customer in my group began to deflate,"There is no way to compare to Mori-senpai."

None of the customers knew of our relationship, but that wasn't because we were purposely hiding it. We just weren't super public and kissy-kissy like other couples around us. Neither of us were like that, nor did we want to be. We would hold hands when we felt we were in a private setting and would give each other sweet kisses on the cheek or forehead, but ever since that first brush of the lips we hadn't kissed. I was fine with that since this was my first real relationship and I wanted to go slow anyway. 

        I leaned over to my customer and put on an exaggerated pouty face,"Who says you have to compare yourself to anybody? I think you're fine the way you are."

        He blushed so hard I was afraid he was going to blow steam,"S-so cute."

        I gave a kitty smile,"I would love to see you all at the showcase tonight. Seeing your faces in the crowd would give me confidence."

        "WE'LL BE THERE!!" My customers exclaimed.

        "So will we!" Tamaki yelled,"A father can't miss his daughter's dance recital!"

        I threateningly pointed to the bandage on his face from when I hit him last chapter,"You want another one of those?"

        Tamaki flailed his way to Kyouya,"Mommy! She's threatening me again!"

        Kyouya just huffed and refused to look at his blonde friend,"We'll be there tonight to support you, Miku."

        "I can't wait!" Hunni exclaimed while hugging Bun-Bun,"Will they sale cake?" 

        "Probably not," Haruhi told him,"You could always being some from home, I suppose."

        "Speaking of homes," Kaoru started.

        "Can we go to- " Hikaru was cut off.

        "No, you can't go to our house again," my sister told the twins blankly.

Mori and I exchanged amused looks before I decided it was time to go.
___________________________________

        ((After Host Club))

Mori and I were excused from Host duties early to get to our last dance practice before the performance. We walked in comfortable silence through the semi-crowded hallways, arms shyly brushing together. I could guess this was Mori's first relationship as well judging by the unsure movements I would catch him making when it came to touching me in any way. I could feel his hand brushing mine, the hand that was still bandaged and sore from rescuing me.

        I carefully reached over and lifted his hand up to my face,"Does it still hurt?"

        His dark gray eyes softened on me,"Only a little."

        I smiled grimly and snuggled his hand softly against my cheek,"Sorry you had to go to such lengths to save me. Tamaki is an idiot."

        His injured hand cupped my cheek strongly,"It was worth it."
_______________________________________

        ((The Showcase))

I couldn't stop pacing. Mori sat patiently somewhere behind me and let me pace. We were already in our costumes and the soft pink fabric I was clothed in did little to calm me (They're wearing what the dancers are wearing in the video. Except Miku's hair is in a loose braid). Did we know the dance well enough? What if I messed up? Mori had to lift me. What if I froze up? In the middle of my internal rambling, I felt strong arms encircle my shoulders. 

        "You'll do fine," the deep voice of my boyfriend sounded in my ear,"I won't let you fail."

        "Thank you," I murmured.

I let myself relax in his hold until our names were called. When we were, the crowd went wild only fueling my desire to succeed. Mori and I got into position and waited for the music to start.  (PLay the Video on the Right)

As the last light fell and we were in darkness, the audience screamed our praises and jumped from their seats. Before the lights came up, Mori folded me in his arms and held me, his face against the side of my head. 

​        He kissed my hair and mumbled,"You did great."