Epilogue

Feet thump down the hallway and I roll my eyes, cracking a smile.

“I start 6th grade today!” Lily exclaims.

I chuckle, looking over my shoulder. “You excited?” I ask and Lily looks at me with wide eyes, nodding her head. I laugh and flip the pancakes that are cooking and then grab a glass out of a cabinet.

“Thank you!” Lily yells as she grabs the glass from me and opens the fridge, taking out the milk. “Are you going to work today?” Lily questions.

“Yes, after I drop you off at school. Why? Don’t want me going?” I tease and put two pancakes on a plate. I turn around and slide the plate along with a fork on the island in the middle of the kitchen. Lily takes the plate and silently thanks me, digging into the golden pancakes. She ignores my question and I take the opportunity to sneak out of the kitchen and into my bedroom, getting into my scrubs for the day.

It’s been 6 years since I moved out of my house and into this apartment with Lily and 6 years since Lacey has left the world. Lily asks questions about Lacey all the time and I answer them truthfully, but I don’t answer the questions about what happened to Lacey. I’m going to tell Lily, eventually, but just not now. I want to tell her when she’s a little older and more mature for the suicide talk. I want her to understand the pain that can happen in suicide and that if she is having these thoughts to tell me immediately. I just want Lily to be safe and healthy, I don’t want anything to happen to Lily. I don’t need anything to happen to Lily.

“Seth! Time’s ticking!” Lily sasses from the kitchen and I chuckle, she’s starting to pick up my sass. I grab my wallet off the dresser and walk out of my room and into the kitchen, looking at Lily. “Ready?” She asks and I nod, then we head out the door.

Lily’s dad is out of the picture, since the death of Lacey he doesn’t want to talk to anyone or see anyone. Especially Lily. He made it clear the day I scheduled an appointment to see him with Lily, the nurses told us to not call anymore and that he doesn’t want to see Lily. It was unfair to Lily and nothing about it was okay, she needs her father but he didn’t want her. So I took over the role of her father figure, I was her protector, someone she could talk to, someone she could watch TV with, and just be the father she needs. Lily doesn’t call me Dad but I’m okay with that, she’s not comfortable and its okay. She’s old enough to know I’m not her real dad.

“Wish me luck?” Lily sighs and I snap out of my attention, looking in the back seat to see Lily getting ready to open the door.

“You don’t need luck! You’re going to do just great! Make friends.” I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

“You’re supposed to wish me luck.”

I laugh. “Okay, okay. Good luck.” Lily grins then gives me a thumbs up, heading out the door and skipping into the middle school. I chuckle at her and then drive off to my job. I work at the nearby car shop, it pays good and I like doing what I do. Plus, its close to the school just in case I ever need to get Lily for some reason. So, everything about it is good.

I slam the front door close and follow Lily up the stairs to my parents house. Lily exclaims Emilee’s name and I know she’s home from college, probably with Ryan too. I greet my Mom and greet Emilee as well as Ryan.

Ryan and Emilee are still together, sure they’re always on and off but they love each other. They also use to go to the same college but Ryan already graduated. Ryan has already talked to me about marrying my sister and it blows my mind, Ryan’s her first boyfriend and they’re thinking about marrying each other and starting a family. I don’t question it though because they do truly love each other and they’ve been with each other for a long time. As long as Ryan treats her good and Emilee’s happy, I couldn’t give a damn.