Chapter 17

My throat closes when my eyes land on Lacey, she gives me a smile but it doesn’t hide the big bruise underneath her eye. I caress her cheek carefully in my hand and look down at Lacey, dread covering her face. 

“Lacey…” I whisper, Lacey closes her eyes and bites her lip. “Are you sure you just tripped?” I ask carefully, afraid of saying something wrong. 

Lacey nods and opens her eyes. “It’s just healing from the trip, Seth, I promise,” She mumbles her stormy eyes looking tired as ever. 

“Lacey…” I mumble, eying her carefully but she just grabs my hand off her cheek and lays my hand by her side, and lacing our fingers together.

Her attention goes to something behind me then looks back at me. “How do you feel about them two?” she asks and I turn around, rolling my eyes when I see Emilee and Ryan walking side by side. 

“Honestly? I want to murder him,” I groan looking back at Lacey. “But if Emilee’s happy then I’m happy.” 

Lacey smiles. “You’re an awesome older brother, you know that, right?” I roll my eyes and chuckle. “And you’re an amazing girl, you know that, right?” Lacey rolls her eyes and smiles. “So my Mom wants you over for dinner one of these nights. I haven’t told her anything yet because I wanted to talk to you first.” 

Lacey closes her eyes. “Seth, I love your Mom but… I don’t know, I’m just nervous?” I laugh and rub my thumb on her right cheek. “Me too, Lacey. We can be nervous together, how about that?” Lacey shrugs, “We can just this over and done with, how about tonight? I promise my parents will love you.” 

Lacey bites her lip and looks around my face. “I’ll think about it.” 

I nod then the bell rings and I turn around and we walk to class together. 

To our small walk to science no matter whom we walked by they would stare at Lacey and I knew she was beginning to get uncomfortable. Sadly, I knew this was only the beginning of what is to come. We still had so many more teachers to face and students. So instead of taking the right for science I ended up going straight, towards the exit and left the school. I want to make her feel comfortable and right now that’s not where she’s going to be. 

“Seth?” Lacey questions beside me worry in her voice. I grab my keys out of my pocket and unlock the passenger door and Lacey gets in. I walk to the driver’s side and start my car, backing up, and leaving the school, not once looking back. “Seth?” I turn down the radio and take a right. “We’re ditching,” I say. 

Lacey looks at me with horror on her face and I knew I was going to have make more of this day. From the look she gave me, she’s never ditched school and I know she’s a little iffy about the idea but after what I have planned for the day she may just have to ditch more often with me. 

In other words, we’re probably going to get into much trouble.